View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
NGD! Because I needed another Strat? 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post NGD! Because I needed another Strat?
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster. Sonic Blue, maple neck. Duncan JB & Jazz set, 5-way switch, new electronics. GraphTech nut and saddles. Locking tuners. And a nice Fender TSA case. Didn't pay much for it, either. :isay: I needed a beater to sit in the GardaRoom. This will serve nicely.

Bit of a different neck profile, seems a little thinner and a little flatter. I'll have to do a direct comparison to my other Fenders.

Pictures will be forthcoming when I have the sense to charge my damn phone. :red:

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 pm
Winston Wolf

Post Re: NGD! Because I needed another Strat?
I just sold my strat. no matter what I do I can't seem to get the one that got away. I had a nice one and I let it go. I even contacted the buyer asked to have him sell it back. He had already sold it. Well I will be anticipating :dastardly:

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:50 pm
Winston Wolf

on the other hand. I needed some money so besides my strat, I sold my junior for cash plus a 72 Tele Deluxe RI. was worth it to me I will make more even if I under sell the tele by a lot.

so that is tele number 4 or 5 right now.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:55 pm
Best Supporting Actress

The singer in mine uses one of those.

He had his repainted in metallic pink and put a single hb setup in it. Solid strats though, especially for a good price.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

Pics needed.

What are the various positions on that five way switch? And how are those sounds? How you lika tha JB-a?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 am
Simethicone

Sitting in front of the door to our iso booth. It comes across a bit blue-er in the photos than it does IRL. It's so pale it's almost white. I'm actually really digging it. The mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard seems more subdued in person as well.

Duncans! Graphite!

Someone was even kind enough to install a graphite string tree. The nut install isn't the cleanest work I've ever seen, but it'll serve:

Re: the JB, I honestly haven't spent enough time with it. I've mostly been playing clean or clean-ish on positions 3 through 5. IIRC it's JB, JB tapped, both as per normal middle position for two 'buckers, Jazz tapped, and Jazz. I'm digging the tapped sounds, the middle is always useful for clean stuff, and the Jazz is bright and articulate. I need to spend some time riffing on the JB before I can really give an honest assessment as it's been a long time since I've had one kicking around.

Re: neck profile, it's almost identical to my silverburst Tele, with the addition of another fret. Flatter and less chunky than my go-to black Strat. Comfortable for chord work and most of what I do in Garda, as I don't do a lot of lead wanking in that context.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:58 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Ooh, i like that. I was expecting a more blue, but prefer its near-whiteness.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 pm
Walrus meat

I would play the hell out of that there riffstick. I'm not big on strats (it's the saddles, love dat neck pickup tho) but that's a damnfine aesthetic.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Ooh, i like that. I was expecting a more blue, but prefer its near-whiteness.

Yeah, it is a fine color. Subtle, classy. Were I the one installing the pickups, I would have chosen white over black, but the black works with the graphite- can't exactly finish graphite in white or chrome, after all- and having graphite throughout is a nice upgrade. The saddles are a known quantity as I've used 'em for years, and now I'm actually tempted to install graphite nuts on my other Fenders as well- bending is very slinky. Locking tuners make life easier, and are essentially mandatory in my world. These are USA-made Sperzels; I prefer Schallers (or the Fender-branded Schallers that are a direct drop-in replacement on Fenderthings without drilling) as the knurled knob is a bit more substantial, but these'll do.

I do need to raise the action slightly for my tastes, and probably put another spring in the trem as it's floating a slight bit, but outside of that, it's a nice player.

Broseidon wrote:
I would play the hell out of that there riffstick. I'm not big on strats (it's the saddles, love dat neck pickup tho) but that's a damnfine aesthetic.

See above. :nods: What's you're issue with the saddles, if I may ask? Just the feel of the things under one's right hand, or something function-wise about 'em?

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:15 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
I actually prefer sperzels myself. I don't know if they are a different ratio or turning resistance or what, but i like using them better than the schallers. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:43 am
Walrus meat

I feel like on most of the strats I have played the saddle screwbits are kinda poking out of the top of the saddle and get a little irritating. I dunno if that's a result of the trem being a little further off the body resulting in the saddles needing to be lowered or what. I've also not really encountered too many strats that were setup particularly well anyhow. I've played Mr. Matt Yankovich's (Dewysoss') strat a handful of times now and that's been the finest one of those I have handled.

Really though, that neck pickup sound is the reason I would be most interested in one of them, I am not too handy with a trem. Way too heavy handed and shitty at multi-tasking the strumming/picking and dips and whatnot. So, I figure if I get back to playing guitar as much as I used to and am gigging I'd consider putting a strat pickup in me ol' Tele.

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 pm
Winston Wolf

that is a very nice strat Sir.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]