View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Might get the miss a bass... 
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Yes/No: No
Post Might get the miss a bass...
So we have been toying with the idea of the miss learning to play bass. I'm looking to spend as little as possible but I want a quality instrument that wouldn't require buying a second if she decides to stick with it. I lie, if she likes it or not, I would have a bass I can use to record and no longer require VSTs :twisted: She would of course ultimately decide which bass to get, but if I could only present her with quality options, she won't go wrong...

So recommendations? Other then the Squire Vintage Modifieds, who make a decent cheap ass bass? I could also assemble one out of a kit and have her help me if that is the best option :idk:

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:29 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Might get the miss a bass...
Outside of the Squier VMs and MIM Fenders, I've found the Sterling-by-Musicman basses to be decent, though they'll need a bit of a setup. (Doesn't everything?) Very hot pickup on those. Neck's kinda chunky, though. Surprisingly, I've run into a few Epiphone J-bass type things that were shockingly good. You can sometimes get lucky in stores with various makers' import lines used, same as anything else, but you know this.

The VMs are a reliably good bass for not a lot of coin, though. The Fender Jazz neck profile is on the narrow side for a bass and probably comfortable for guitarists or ladyfolks with smaller hands. That being said, I have giant piano player hands and love the feel, so there's that. It's narrow/rounded rather than a wide/flat-type neck.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 pm
Winston Wolf

The SX basses were real good a few years ago. Rondo music. I can't swear by them now, but I had a few of them and they played very well. they are right about $100-150

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm
Pendulous

Hehe the some idea has been floating around here as well. If she ever got into it we decided we'd start a band called Electric Catfish.

It'd probably be a short scale if we did it.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]