View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Opening a can 'o worms 
Winston Wolf

Post Opening a can 'o worms
well FUKT

Now that I have been down the rabbit hole... I'm more fucked than usual.

You guys know I have had and have some very expensive gear. But the build quality of this Anderson makes me want them all to play like this.

The little things are bugging me on the LP's now. so I ordered all new pots (low friction, audio taper Bourns) I love the low friction of the Andersons.. fuck me.

Now the usual G string issue on the LPs are killing me...

I know its headstock and string angle, but I want it gone, so thinking of new nut on a few of them.

This is the one advantage of the FR on the Axcess.. fucker is never out of tune.

ever

ever.

someone chime in with what nut to go with.

I use nut sauce already... so I'm thinking the low cost of a properly installed and setup bone nut would be worth it

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:30 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Opening a can 'o worms
Seems like a lot of folks just go for a nice bone nut set up properly these days. :idk:

Lately i have been curious about those zero glide nuts, kind of like a weirdo zero fret that doesn't require modification to the neck to install(the fret is built into the nut, not slotted into the neck).

I will probably wind up fucking with one of those one day to see what it is about. :idk:

I can't really stop myself. :lol:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm
Winston Wolf

yeah... I might try one of those on an LP. I have a few so trying it on one wouldn't hurt.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:39 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I have tried just about all materials, I like brass a lot but it can get squirrely. Mostly been sticking with bone recently. Those zero-glide nuts look super interesting. I might get one installed on my FGN, I was thinking of having it refretted with SS Frets anyway.

Anderson's QC is stupendous, chances are a good tech spent quite sometime cutting the nut for that guitar.

Quote:
so I'm thinking the low cost of a properly installed and setup bone nut would be worth it

Oh absolutely. One of the first thing I do with any of my guitars is have a custom nut cut for them. Granted my tech is somehow the perfect triangle of fast, cheap and good so I am incredibly spoiled by that. What's your tech charge to a cut a new nut?

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Devtron wrote:
I have tried just about all materials, I like brass a lot but it can get squirrely. Mostly been sticking with bone recently. Those zero-glide nuts look super interesting. I might get one installed on my FGN, I was thinking of having it refretted with SS Frets anyway.

Anderson's QC is stupendous, chances are a good tech spent quite sometime cutting the nut for that guitar.

Quote:
so I'm thinking the low cost of a properly installed and setup bone nut would be worth it

Oh absolutely. One of the first thing I do with any of my guitars is have a custom nut cut for them. Granted my tech is somehow the perfect triangle of fast, cheap and good so I am incredibly spoiled by that. What's your tech charge to a cut a new nut?

Not sure, there is a guy just a few blocks away who is more expensive than most, but he is good and convenient. I have always liked his work even if he is a little snarky.

I have been replacing all my volume pots with Bourne low friction which is great and while I like Faber bridges and tail pieces, I have gotten some great deals on TOnepros recently so I have installed a couple of those.

My new Lite Custom I went to install one of the volume pots and it has that fucking circuit board in the control cavity... FML. I will need to research what I am doing with that.. I'm thining pliers and a hammer will do away with that.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I honestly like the PCB as a concept, for straight drop-in replacement of pickups, but I can't speak for its implementation, which I'm inclined, very prejudicially, to suspect is dodgy. Actually, no, scratch that; a plain ol' Molex connector would work just fine, thanks.

I did just put Burstbucker Pros in my beater LP, along with CTS pots from The Art Of Tone with 5% tolerance, and orange drop caps... Something got buggered up with the wiring though, so my "tech" (read: my friend Jim who repairs aircraft for a living- his electrical skills are a slight bit better than mine, what with having a degree in it and all- and for whom I occasionally metal-bass) is repairing it. Vintage cloth wiring with the braided shield is a bitch to work with, and something is probably shorting out. :snax:

No, I didn't use the cloth wiring "for the tone"; fuck that. It came with the kit. :red:

Also, I don't like the locking Klusons as I can't fit a .056 low E. Which, clearly, will not be tuned to E.

[grammatical quandary: do I say "an oh-fifty-six" or "a fifty six"? I'm going with the latter; see above.]

I haven't done a nut replacement on any of my guitars, and I think a couple of 'em might really need it; I'm sick of the intonation issues on the G, and I think it may help? (I often detune my G... Usually 12-17 cents. Might just be a temperament thing though. Have started doing this to other people's guitars on sessions, too, when I hear wonky chords. By ear, with octaves.)

Also: holy shit, we're actually posting a guitar-related thread. :lol:

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:43 am
Best Supporting Actress

It could help with the G string. The classic example is the nut catching the string and causing it to pull sharp, IIRC. Intonation comes down from nut to bridge saddle right? So if it is a reoccurring issue I would say it is at least worth a shot. I think companies like Earvana even make compensated or 'shelved' nuts to help deal with intonation issues.

Oh and I already break volume pots and a fairly regular basis when playing live, so mounting them to a PCB sounds like a recipe for disaster. I forgot those had them, I really dug those Custom Lites when I worked at Sam Ash. Sold a bunch of 'em.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
[grammatical quandary: do I say "an oh-fifty-six" or "a fifty six"? I'm going with the latter; see above.]

I have usually heard folks who refer to such measurements as "oh-five-six", once the unit of measurement (here: inches) has been noted. As in "it is oh five six of an inch". Sounds a bit silly that way maybe, but machinists don't want to stonehenge their shit up if they can avoid it.

Alternately and accurately, it could be referred to as "fifty six thousandths of an inch" in conversation to indicate the correct decimal placement without the visual aid of a written number to reference.

:idk:

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Ah, I gather you know the origins of the Stonehenge story from Spinal Tap. :lol:

For those not in the know, that's based on a true story about a Black Sabbath stage set, though the real-world version was the opposite of what's in the film. The dimensions were supposed to be in feet, not meters. The set wouldn't fit onstage in any of the venues they were playing. :lol: I want to say this was Dio-era Sabbath; sounds right given the context. :idk:

Oh-five-six sounds proper for shop talk; I used to deal with that sort of thing quite a bit when I was in the printing industry as I specialized in large-format displays, often backlit. Guitar players seem to drop the "oh" when talking gear. It's "a set of nines", or "a fifty-two for the low E", that sort of thing. 'Course, that could just be regional guitarist dialect. :idk:

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 am
Winston Wolf

the custom lite is so new I hate the idea of fuckery with it... but I am hating the volume pot, so, I do see myself replacing the innards....

the G string thing on LP's :mad:

plenty of Big Bends helps a bit for the tuning but I see myself putting new nuts on everything very soon. other than the junior which does have the Gibson zero nut. Neck on that guitar is wide as fuck though

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am
Best Supporting Actress

torgeot wrote:
the custom lite is so new I hate the idea of fuckery with it... but I am hating the volume pot, so, I do see myself replacing the innards....

the G string thing on LP's :mad:

plenty of Big Bends helps a bit for the tuning but I see myself putting new nuts on everything very soon. other than the junior which does have the Gibson zero nut. Neck on that guitar is wide as fuck though

Graphite does OK, definitely with the G string catching. I've seen duded grind down the end of a pencil into the G slot to help, seems a bit inefficient compared to a properly cut nut, maybe from one them thar self-lubricating materials.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yarr, i tend to do that when i restring, run a sharp pencil in the grooves of the nut enough to leave a coating.

Been doing it forever even though most of my guitars have their shit set up right these days. Figure a little more slip can't hurt there. :idk:

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am
Best Supporting Actress

chris_d wrote:
Yarr, i tend to do that when i restring, run a sharp pencil in the grooves of the nut enough to leave a coating.

Been doing it forever even though most of my guitars have their shit set up right these days. Figure a little more slip can't hurt there. :idk:

The only way I could imagine it hurting is if you do it with such force (and a hard enough pencil) to actually change the shape of the slot.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

I figure, those slots put up a bit of resistance to my nut files, my pencil isn't going to faze it, shapewise. Maybe with a plastic nut, but i have been cutting them out of scrap bits of corian lately, which i like a lot actually; it is hard but not so stupidly hard as to make shaping them a pain. And it doesn't smell like burning bone, which is nice. A cutting board sized section of the shit was like $8 from a local cheapo odds+ends shop too. Cutting it up is a little more of a pain than buying blanks to use, but not too bad with a table saw to cut it into strips to work with(though it IS a little plastic-stinky and sprays weird plasti-something fibers fucking everywhere when you do it).

Pencil-wise, 2B or softer is all you really want anyhow, you want it to break apart and turn into graphite dust.

I actually have a tube of the shit that is actually designed to be used as a general lubricant, but it is way more messy than the pencil method, thing just sprays graphite dust errywhere. Pencil application is much more directed and precise.

The only fuss i have run into with the pencil thing is when i have overdone it a bit and found root chords leaving a little pencil smudge on my fingers just after the string change. :red:

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:29 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I used to use those graphite lube-tubes on the wheels of my pinewood derby cars back in the ol' cub scouting days.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]