View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Neu Map 
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Neu Map
I am picking up one of the M5's very soon, as I need pedal that I can sometimes use for verb sometimes for something else and this price is too good to not get one.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:18 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
Re: cost, I don't really care. I just want cool gear that does its own thing that I can keep and use forever. A tough-sounding FET compressor is readily available for a moderate to substantial bit of cash, but an oddball version like the blue stripe or something that's been monkeyed with less so. I figure if I'm gonna be rolling with more OTB studio gear, unique or unusual pieces are the way to go. Especially with compressors. And thank you for the update, Chris. I appreciate it.

Re: fuzz, I realize I'm using my Geiger Counter for that, where it should really be used for the even-more-awful things it does.

Yeah I would use the GC for just the insane robot-rampage distortions that your standard fuzz can't make.

Get a Fuzz Factory :rawk:

Or a Mastotron :red:

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Snaxocaster wrote:
Re: cost, I don't really care. I just want cool gear that does its own thing that I can keep and use forever. A tough-sounding FET compressor is readily available for a moderate to substantial bit of cash, but an oddball version like the blue stripe or something that's been monkeyed with less so. I figure if I'm gonna be rolling with more OTB studio gear, unique or unusual pieces are the way to go. Especially with compressors. And thank you for the update, Chris. I appreciate it.

Re: fuzz, I realize I'm using my Geiger Counter for that, where it should really be used for the even-more-awful things it does.

Fuckit. We can build a terrorfuzz into the 1176, AS a DI.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 pm
Winston Wolf

Oh, and regarding said terrorfuzz/terrorfuzzesque effuxt/fx, imma build something new once i get a breadboard all up in this piece. I have a couple thoughts. Dunno if they will wind up anyplace, but i do have a couple thoughts.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:33 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I don't have a proper fuzz on my board; I've used the Synth Wah and Geiger Counter for fuzz, which is almost wrong. Almost, because they do it well, but still..! The Geiger Counter will do ring modulation and massively pitchshifted stuff while sounding like a computer factory on fire and to use it as a mere fuzzstortion... :facepalm:

I did start tracking down bits for a Fuzz Factory some while ago but never made anything of it. The Mastotron I'm actually not familiar with except in name. For an uberfuzz, my immediate instinct is to ask Chris to make something up, go totally nuts, don't even label the controls (or even better, label them things that are random and inappropriate, like "chartreuse", "FOSSILS", and "6.3", bill me for the components, which I would order and have delivered to the relevant location, and charge... his discretion based on how much of a bitch the thing is to make, really. Either a well-compensated hourly rate or something based on a multiple of the component cost. I'm sure the 1176-based Oppressor would be over $1k; what was it, like $5-600 in parts alone? (For those not familiar, this is a 2-rackspace mono(!) analog hardware compressor we were talking about stuffing a preamp/DI into because it has bits of an oldschool preamp in it anyhow and wondering "what extra can we make with this?")

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:16 pm
Winston Wolf

Fuzz Factory is pretty doap, but also pretty thin. Like, the noises it makes are amazing, but they are all in the fuzzface-to-velcro range sonically. Also, because of the way it is made, it is suuuuuper prone to being altered by the input and output impedances of whatever is in front of, and after it. Basically, it should be first inline off the guitar, and if you put certain types of pedals after it, it will drastically alter the way the thing sounds, not always in a good way. Very interesting for a fuck-around-and-see-what-comes-out sort of use though. Also: faux nintendo noises.

The Mastotron, has all kinds of ass to it, and overall is more of a 'standard fuzz' sort of deal. It can be made to sputter and misbehave, but in troof, i liked it most as a all-knobs-dimed bombfuzz. Dev has done more with it than that though.

The thing i am vaguely kicking around is a new bombfuzz based around the concept of an IC/OpAmp based fuzz. Like, maybe an IC Big Muff(i.e. the billy corgan one) but made out of violence and chaos.

Actually, it wouldn't really be much like an ICBM at all. Except that it would be IC-based, have a fair bit of low end, and be vicious. In theory. So far, what i have is vicious but not really usable. I need to get a proto/breadboard so that i can swap parts in and out without having to make a new circuit board each time. Really, i should have had a breadboard from the getgo, but i kept buying parts instead. :red:

But anyhow. Lots of different fuzzthings can be fuzzed. I have built a minor shit tonne of the things. They are fun to do.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 pm
Winston Wolf

Also, depending on how involved the DI circuit was, probably around 1k is about right for what it would take to build the Oppressor, all said.

It is not wildly more complex from a construction standpoint than my last maplifier build, but the calibration would seem to be a fair bit more tedious. If it does get built i will be very curious to log the build time as accurately as possible(something i am pretty historically shit at) as i would like to now, for my own knowledge, just how long it will take. Instinctually, i don't think it would be too bad though, after taking a good look at other's builds, and some of the documentations. :idk:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:48 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Yeah my impression of the Mastotron is a FF with more low-end. How it works:

There is a 3-sub switch that lets you choose between 0,1 or 2 sub-octaves for your tone. 0 is rather thin ala FF, 1 is mildly thick and 2 is massive. There is no bass knob, you use the sub switch to dial in the ass, and then use the treble knob to dial in the sizzle. Pitchwave knob works really well from taking it to nintendo noises up to explosion-fuzz. My Fuzz knob stays at 3 o'clock and the relax/push knob (which as far as I can tell is an impedance knob really designed for active pickups) just stays wide open.

If I boost it with the Timmy I lose a lot of the ass, but it becomes a flamethrower FF style.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am
Profile WWW
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

I think everyone needs a bit of fuzz in their life :love:

I want more :mad:

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3