View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
AC15s .... 
Best Supporting Actress

Post AC15s ....
I want one.

This one is sexy:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15C1BL

That is all.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: AC15s ....
I am not as into the looks of that thing as i expected to be. I think i might be anti-creamcolored hardware on it. The tolex color and the grillecloth are nicey though. :isay:

AC15s are dope. Not really all that much quieter than AC30s. They are smaller and brighter and dirtier, but they are still loud as fuck. :huzzah:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 pm
Winston Wolf

very nice, I might agree with Chris on the creme hardware, but I do like the blue.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Yar the creaminess is probably my least favorite bit, but I think it works ok with the blue. Now, if they used gold for the hardware I would probably have preferred that, but ultimately if they replaced most of the cream and gold with chrome or nickel I'd be way happier.

It's also an extra $100 for the blue tolex, so I would probably rock the classic look.

And while I would use this in the apartment, I acknowledge that it will be loud, or at the very best craving volume. I am ok with that as long as it sounds good and dirty when I crank it. The Tron can stay primp and proper clean all day, and even sounds decent at low volumes, so it may find it's way into my apartment. The AC15 would be the loud-mouthed dirty little sister.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Very cool! Does anyone here not want/have an AC15/30? I know I want one :rawk:

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
knope wrote:

You have a Hot Cat clone, though, so, well... I mean, it's a bit different, but it really is not that far off in being able to pull off some of those tones. It's from the same family. Mr. Sampson slapped a metal channel on the other end. I found the gain channel a bear to dial in, but the clean channel did the edge-of-breakup thing very well with lots of detail and character.

A big part of the AC30 thing is the speakers. My bandmate has an oldass Marshall quad box he stuffed full of Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells in an X pattern. Even with his Diezel it has some of that chime. (I keep a Blue and a Greenback in mine so I can mix 'em while recording.)

If there was a list of Maps-endorsed gear, it would be up there, in some flavour or variation.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:08 am
Best Supporting Actress

It IS one of those pieces of gear most of us look and say, "I'd hit it."

So yeah, I think I am going to start selling all the things in an effort to get a AC15. The Orange TT I just never touch, and if I were to have a 15 watt tuber running through 12" speakers I'd much rather it be of the Vox variety.

The Lil' Night Train hits much closer to where I like, but it is just shy of the sound I want and is pretty much stuck being a dedicated bedroom map because of it's low output. Also, the head format forces me to use a cab, and if I am gonna use a cab I might as well use the biggest one I can fit in my apartment :red:

Basically, if I wanted to go through the trouble of getting a 1x10" cab for the LNT, and then just dedicating it to bedroom use, I would keep it. But, since I am trying to jam with my boiz more, a little loud-ass combo that I can pick up and go with would be a bit more handier.

I am more or less just consolidating my amps.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Simethicone

How loud does the LNT get anyhow? My downstairs neighbors have an AC4 + cab, but I only have ever (barely- something to be said for big old houses) heard them play acoustic or piano. (The lady of the house has a nice voice, from what I can tell.)

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
How loud does the LNT get anyhow?

2w isn't silent by any stretch, and all of the 1w and 2w amps (all SS) that i have built were a little too loud to play distorted with late at night(i only ran them with a 4x12) but none of them would have been able to hang with a drummer unless it was brushes and smoovejazz.

Kind of an awkward inbetween of not terribly useful but for a very specific sort of user, or for using as a quiet clean amp.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Snaxocaster wrote:
knope wrote:

You have a Hot Cat clone, though, so, well... I mean, it's a bit different, but it really is not that far off in being able to pull off some of those tones. It's from the same family. Mr. Sampson slapped a metal channel on the other end. I found the gain channel a bear to dial in, but the clean channel did the edge-of-breakup thing very well with lots of detail and character.

A big part of the AC30 thing is the speakers. My bandmate has an oldass Marshall quad box he stuffed full of Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells in an X pattern. Even with his Diezel it has some of that chime. (I keep a Blue and a Greenback in mine so I can mix 'em while recording.)

If there was a list of Maps-endorsed gear, it would be up there, in some flavour or variation.

AC15 are decently cheap, currently come with good speakers, and are easier to move around compared to a head and 2x12. Not nessisarily lighter but deffinetly more compact. Similar sound, more portable and loud enough for band practice and tight gigs and whatnot. An open back 1x12 might also do the trick, but I haz no cash until I fix and sell the Laney.

Basically what Devin said... :poop:

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 pm
Henry Kissinger

did you ever get any further with your laney?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:08 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
How loud does the LNT get anyhow? My downstairs neighbors have an AC4 + cab, but I only have ever (barely- something to be said for big old houses) heard them play acoustic or piano. (The lady of the house has a nice voice, from what I can tell.)

It can get loud enough to be heard in other apartments, but not obnoxiously so. With the fuzz on amp-about-to-explode settings, it gets to wall shaking territory. But, it definitely isn't going to be knocking anything off the walls. I also run it through 2x10s.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

chris_d wrote:
Snaxocaster wrote:
How loud does the LNT get anyhow?

Kind of an awkward inbetween of not terribly useful but for a very specific sort of user, or for using as a quiet clean amp.

This pretty much nails it. As a standalone amp the thing is not exactly crazy useful, your basic non-smoovjazz drummer would overpower the shit out of this amp, and its brightness would be its only saving grace against a decent sized bass map. BUT, if you wanted something to A) Record with that would not be crazy loud B) Use at home that would not be crazy loud or C) Want to record an amp that is being pushed to its limits - then this this thing rocks it.

It also sounds good, which is nice.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Noted. I've been curious about the real low wattage stuff for a long while for home use, having long since tired of Pod --> monitors; the studio's great (crank shit up at 4 AM!) but no longer a seven-minute walk down the street. Something up in the (very soundproofed) attic mic'd up in perpetuity would suit me fine. Patch in pedals and go.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Zozobra wrote:

I found the problem and replaced to failed resistor. Problem was that I wasn't very careful putting it back together, so I need to just re-put it back together and buy some knobs for it. I just haven't really had the time to work on it.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
Noted. I've been curious about the real low wattage stuff for a long while for home use, having long since tired of Pod --> monitors; the studio's great (crank shit up at 4 AM!) but no longer a seven-minute walk down the street. Something up in the (very soundproofed) attic mic'd up in perpetuity would suit me fine. Patch in pedals and go.

I was thinking of offing the LNT and the 2x10 HRD cab I snagged off tor to afford an AC15, just to let you know :plot: :mwahaha: :D

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Henry Kissinger

knope wrote:
Zozobra wrote:

I found the problem and replaced to failed resistor. Problem was that I wasn't very careful putting it back together, so I need to just re-put it back together and buy some knobs for it. I just haven't really had the time to work on it.

Ah cool. Was it an open plate or cathode resistor or something?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 am

Zozobra wrote:
knope wrote:
Zozobra wrote:

Ah cool. Was it an open plate or cathode resistor or something?

Open resistor on the last cathode before the tone stack. Cheap and easy fix... just need to clean up my mess once I finish classes :dukes:

Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]