View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
bass through guitar amp 
Morrissey

Post bass through guitar amp
my bassist has no amp, so during practice i let him use my Mark III half stack and I played through my Super Champ XD. the cab is a 4x12 with V30's, and is i think 280 watts while my amp is 100. He was playing with the volume at around 3 on the master and channel volume, maybe a bit louder. is this safe> i read mixed opinions, but it sounded and worked fine and we were jamming for a good 2 hours or so. i want to use this setup during gigs, will it work without trashing my shit?

Apparently I am not allowed to put gear in my sig :idk:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:51 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re: bass through guitar amp
The amp should be fine, the speakers are the part that might take a beating. I have seen bassist blow out guitar speakers with enough volume applied (which wasn't an insane amount) but some guitar speakers can handle the extra low-end.

That is in my experience of course, YMMV.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Morrissey

Devtron wrote:
The amp should be fine, the speakers are the part that might take a beating. I have seen bassist blow out guitar speakers with enough volume applied (which wasn't an insane amount) but some guitar speakers can handle the extra low-end.

how much volume would be too much? the speakers are almost triple the amp output so i figured it would be okay as long as it wasn't too loud

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I want a VHT CLX wrote:
Devtron wrote:

how much volume would be too much? the speakers are almost triple the amp output so i figured it would be okay as long as it wasn't too loud

Kinda depends on the speaker, can't really tell you much from there. When the speakers did blow it didn't take much but they tended to be smaller shitty speakers from cheapo combo amps.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Morrissey

well they are quality, 4 celestion vintage 30's

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:15 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Re: speakers, the issue is overextending the voice coil on spikes IIRC. Bass through a guitar amp, with decent speakers, seems generally safe- see Dev's quote. Also, a shitty SS combo amp with cheap speakers is going to be a totally different animal. Low frequencies take more power to amplify, cheap SS combos are underpowered and don't always have the sturdiest of speakers, hard SS power section clipping blows speakers. Do the math. Bad mojo.

I've used V30s in a bass rig before at band volumes. For metaldirtbass. If there's an issue, turn down the bass knob on the amp. (Or in the case of the Mark, the graphic EQ). Lots of guitar gear has been used in bass rigs over the years, and not with special speakers or at conservative levels either, especially back in the day. Plenty of old Fenders (Bassman, Twin, Super, Dual Showman, etc.) and Marshalls (hello Superbass? Marshall Major... The cab for the bass amp version of the 800 has G1265s in it, etc.) and whatnots.

I suspect the Mark would sound pretty good as a bass amp. I know a Dual Rec does.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm
Winston Wolf

you should be just fine. You are not pushing anywhere near 100W at 3 or 4 and as Snackmaster says if you notice the cones jumping around a lot then roll off the lows a bit. You shouldn't have a problem at all though.

My bass player blow a head at a show about 2 years ago, I ran to the car brought in my Rebel 20 and it killed the rest of the night. Only 20 watts but a loud 20. The Rebel is always in my car just for emergencies.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]