View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
This looks intersting 
Winston Wolf

Post This looks intersting
18 watts, attenuatable to 5 or 1, Nice tonezes

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: This looks intersting
That does sound pretty swell. I like the visuals too, nice way to show which controls are active for each channel.

I only wish they had chosen to make it 6V6-based rather than EL84. I am kind of done with EL84s myself. Too short of a lifespan for a hobo such as myself, and the 6V6s sound 'bigger' to me for marshally sorts of amps. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I like it. :nods:

I've been wanting one of the Bogner pedals since they came out. I haven't tried one yet though. I'd assume I would gravitate toward the Ecstasy Blue, but I'd probably want the greater gain from the Red on the occasion.

Re: 6V6s, I haven't spent that much time with them to comment. I like 84s sonically and have been using them for a number of years now (since I started doing the Mesa + Yellowjackets thing... I do miss that amp, but it's not my belovéd Stephanie.) but yeah, the lifespan sucks. I've blown a few of them, and I suspect the current set is responsible for how much my rig hums at the moment.

One of the Ecstasy pedals into an AC30 with a Blue and a Greenback would in theory sound pretty glorious, right?

I like the tinyamp concept as a whole for personal use. Having an 18-watt mode means it's loud enough to gig with if desired and you don't need cleanyclean cleans. Which I don't, and I note the dirtyness of the clean channel, of which I also approve.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 pm
Winston Wolf

Slash in my GnR thing has the Blue pedal. He uses it for his classic rock coverband with a Fender Deluxe (one of the new ones I think it's a III ?) Does what it supposed to do well.

I like 84's. The only thing I have them in now, is my Rebel20 and Bugera v22. I've not had to replace them in either, but the v22 get used at home only and the Rebel has seen action only twice on 3 years. Time to sell that one I think.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am
Henry Kissinger

I'm with you on the EL84 comment. The only way to get a semi-decent life span out of them is to neft the plate voltage and then you're limited for the preamp supply if you want to keep the PSU topology simple and sub 250VDC usually lends itself to a pretty shitty sounding preamp. You could always do a split rail PSU or implement some silicone to handle the voltages but that is a pain in the dick when you could just use 6V6 and start with 350-370VDC in the first place. In any case if people see a MOSFET in an amp they'll run away shrieking haha.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Yarr, i love the MOSFET cathode follower in my current amp. Totally makes the tone stack useful, while still meaning that i can have a very angry amp gainwise, with only four tube sockets, total, for the whole damn thing.

Amp-buying nerds don't know what is what, especially with what they don't think they want in their amps. :lol:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:01 am
Henry Kissinger

Its really stupid. There have been some really great MOSFET loops developed recently that shit all over tube loops and ye old TL072 loops that everyone has been using since forever.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]