View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Do I do it? 
Winston Wolf

Post Do I do it?
I have 2 Shiva's one combo one head. I am having a headshell built for the combo, because I don't rally need 2 of the same very expensive amp, yet I need the head for the GnR gig.

I was offered a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30r in trade. I am serioously thinnking of trying this. Imagine having a Shiva and Hot Cat. :mexican:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Do I do it?
It is supposed to be a good, though slightly odd amp. Pretty high gain, but a little different about it. I know dan/newholland didn't like the lead channel much at all due to what he perceived as a grittiness and scratchiness to the distortion that he couldn't dial out.

By most accounts though, the clean channel is fantastic, basically just a classic vox preamp setup, into a pair of EL34s.

Personally, because of my love of scritchy high end, high gain, and vox circuits, i would totally do that swap. :lol:

Foar your porpoises, :idk:.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:47 am
Walrus meat

Yes.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
chris_d wrote:
It is supposed to be a good, though slightly odd amp. Pretty high gain, but a little different about it. I know dan/newholland didn't like the lead channel much at all due to what he perceived as a grittiness and scratchiness to the distortion that he couldn't dial out.

By most accounts though, the clean channel is fantastic, basically just a classic vox preamp setup, into a pair of EL34s.

Lots of gain on the gain channel, yes. Will "do metal". IIRC gainier than the Shiva by a fair bit- and I had no problems using the Shiva in a heavy context with medium-output 'buckers back when. I had a hard time dialing the Hot Cat's dirt channel in as well; the controls on the gain channel are a wee bit odd. I've heard other people get fine-ass toans out of them, though. I spent most of my time with the gain channel flummoxed by the thing so I can't really comment on the high end. It doesn't sound like a Shiva, that's for certain. I really wanted to like the gain channel, too, since I've heard the thing recorded so well.

I'll second the clean channel being fantastic. Sounds well-nigh indistinguishable from a good AC30.

Play one. If you can make sense of the gain channel, do the swap.

Then you must run them both in stereo. It's absolutely imperative. :hitler: Because if I had both those amps, that's what I'd do. I'd even gig like that, too, just to be a dick.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 am
Henry Kissinger

The hot cat dirt preamp is like nothing else I've ever seen, which might explain why some people don't care for it.
I'd give it a go. Do they have similar resale values if its not for you?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 am
Winston Wolf

yes the resale is about the same, the Hot Cat has a road case as well. I was planning on selling the Shiva head after making a headshell for the combo anyway, so this would give me a chance to play one and dick with it a bit and then sell if I don't like. We also have discussed that if not happy we both would trade back. Sounds like a Win/Win

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am
Simethicone

Oh, that's excellent then. So you're not stuck with the thing if it's not to your taste. Now, the clean channel is fabulous and basically unfuckwithable. Two knobs'll do that. It'll be interesting how that stacks up against the Shiva, actually. The gain channel is another flavor entirely. The feel is a lot different, too; it doesn't squish like Bogners do.

And I was gonna say, isn't the resale on a Hot Cat head actually a bit more than the Shiva? (At least, a non-20th Anniversary Shiva)

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
And I was gonna say, isn't the resale on a Hot Cat head actually a bit more than the Shiva? (At least, a non-20th Anniversary Shiva)

uhhhh yup. That's the good part for me.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm
Simethicone

'Cause I was gonna say, one used to be able to score Shivae in the $14-1600 range all day long, at least the heads. And Warm Felines are more than that- hell, even the 15 watters are more than that.

Speaking of which, what wattage Hot Cat is it?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:11 pm
Winston Wolf

30 but much like the AC30 not really 30 watts. Guy I am trading has had Shivas before and it's louder that the Shiva. I don't think that's possible but is probably a loud 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 am
Simethicone

torgeot wrote:
30 but much like the AC30 not really 30 watts. Guy I am trading has had Shivas before and it's louder that the Shiva. I don't think that's possible but is probably a loud 30

So it's really a 50 watter, basically? The Shiva's just a 2xbigbottle power section, so its 80W rating is generous. Likewise, an AC30 full-out is around 50W, and the Blues being 100dB/W speaks- shockingly, considering their 15w rating- make it punch above its weight class. I never thought the Shiva was that loud, considering; I could turn it up on a big stage without worrying I'm killing everyone? Even with V30s. (I'd love to have one with a Greenback cab! :love: ) Maybe it's just me though. I've only played a Hot Cat in a store, so I can't really compare them to a Shiva in re: how they handle under actual use.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:18 am
Henry Kissinger

The HC30 uses a power amp which is quite similar to that described in the Philips EL34 datasheet:
~375VDC plate and screen
~260R bias resistor per tube
~3k4 OT primary

Philips quote 35W at 5% THD for this arrangement.
However if you draw the load line for it the output at clipping will be about 57W :huzzah:

It's also not really class A but really fucking hot biased AB1, although for the most part the classifications don't mean a great deal. I also understand why the Ceriatone clone is biased cooler :isay:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am
Tsardocasm

I liked the Hot Cat 30 I had. Good clean, not my favorite, but nice. The gain channel was more fun than tax evasion.

Member Of The Radium Water Gentleman's League Of Luxury.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:31 pm
Simethicone

Sardocasm wrote:
The gain channel was more fun than tax evasion.

:lol: Excellent. :isay:

Did this trade ever occur, BTW?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:40 pm
Winston Wolf

Alas, it did not the gent I was trading with came upon hard times and could not do a trade he had to sell. I have been proposition for a McCarty trade which I may do value is a bit better on the McCarty and we can do it face to face and one can never really have enough guitars. I wouldn't normally spend that type of money on a guitar unless I know I could flip it and I like to try out so much gear but I really need to bond with it for a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]