View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
New map day! 
Michael Anthony Fanclub President

Post New map day!
Got a super sweet deal on this map through work. It's a one of a kind Mini Jubilee combo in astoria blue. This (plus a red and a green one) was originally made for a shop in Japan who never ended up buying it, so I scored a helluva deal. I was originally gonna get a head version but it's actually nice having a combo again - my tone is no longer at the mercy of rehearsal room cabs which are, by and large, awful. Nice having it all in one package and the ported combo sounds massive - definitely loud enough for playing with a band. Getting a bit o tube rattle or something though which is annoying.

Sounds awesome, I used it at band last night and in a mix it sounds so punchy and crunchy. I'm not 100% on the greenback though, might try swapping out for my G12H30 or V30 as the GB is a bit sizzly/raspy and fizzy at the minute -not sure if that's just a GB trait or if it needs breaking in more? It's not the amp at least, the sizzle wasn't there through a 1960A.

Wasn't expecting my neck p90 to sound so bloody good through it - was going to replace that with a matching humbucker but not sure I can now! Amazing clean tones and chunky distorted morello-esque rhythms.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: New map day!
On their own modern greenbacks can sound pretty high-endy/fizzly. Some of the vintage ones are smoother. I think the heritage ones are less fizzy too, but they are kind of $$$.

Sometimes this is something that doesn't come across in a mix recorded, because the sizzle is pretty high up. Sounds weird on the onesies soloed though.

A 4x12 seems to counteract the fizz or cancel it out in the room, but if you throw a close mic on one speaker you will usually get the fizz right back, especially if you go kind of straight in on or near the cone within a foot or so.

For an alternative speaker that is related in vibe(the H30 is also pretty fizzy on its own IMO, and the V30 is just a very different flavor), i recently bought a G12M-65 Creamback that i really like though. Has all of the nice qualities of the greenbacks for that classic marshall-celestion thing, but with a really well-managed top end. Basically, the more i use it, the more i think it is just the most perfect greenback style speaker that anyone has made. Kind of pricey because you don't come across used ones too often, but for me, i am sold, it is worth it. I definitely recommend it to anyone. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 am

I've been looking at the Neo Creamback actually since it would make the amp even more portable and I hear they sound pretty close to the Creamback 65. I'll try and plug my amp into an Astoria cab, think they use the M Creambacks. I actually quite like the V30 sound in general as well, definitely sounds more focused though which might make a 1x12 sound a bit boxy? Would probably give me more of that modern heavy Mastodon-esque Marshall sound I like though..

Yeah in the mix it sounded pretty good, I just kinda want it to be as good by itself too if I can haha, being picky.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am
Winston Wolf

ALSO: worf noting that some very small combos tend to have an odd tonal signature, which can totally accentuate the odder thinner aspects of whatever speakers are in them. That may be a big part of why it sounded raspy on its own but okay through the 412. Marshall usually seems pretty good about designing their cabs though, to minimize this.

Aslo, the main downside with combos in general will be their likelihood of developing odd frequency-dependent buzzes. Go through and make sure that everything is bolted in tight. Back panels are frequent offenders, but i have also run into fuss with chassis mounting screws and even tube socket screws before.

Aslo worth noting, some of it might be tubes gone microphonic from having the shit rattled out of them continually. I have to swap out preamp tubes in my combos pretty frequently for less noisy ones, especially when i am using the amps loud a lot. Had to do a pair of output tubes recently in the Princeton for the same reason.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 am
Winston Wolf

And yeah, i would wonder if the V30 might make it sound too much middsy into boxy town.

I tend to really like the V30 on its own though. And if you already have one around, you might as well try it?

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 am

Hmm yeah, I'm not sure if the greenback is for me in a 1x12 ported combo. Always has that loose, boxy, raspy fizzy quality that would work for more old school raw rock tones but not for my tastes. Through my G12H30/V30 cab it sounds amazing. Not sure which of the two it is that's giving me that good tone - ideally I would find a single speaker that sounds like that pairing. Imma try the v30 first.

Having a couple issues I need to get servicing to look at - the power light occasionally flickers and it gets pretty hot to the touch. Valves also get really hot but maybe this is normal.

Turns out it wasn't valve rattle but a microphonic V1 valve - the valve can spring rattling must have been picked up. Annoyingly I left my RFT valve in my Laney when I sold it, shoulda swapped it out for one of the TAD ones I've had to stick in the jube.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Always swap your decent tubes out of whatever you're selling unless they're a selling point. :red: Tube rattle in small combos- indeed, in large combos- is quite common; I often ran my AC30 through a 4x12 when possible to minimize this. Now, I'm a Greenback fan, and it may just need a wee bit more break in time, but if you're liking the results with the V30/H30 combination, well... Go with what you prefer sonically. My initial instinct would be to try the H30 first for the reasons Chris stated above. (And were you not in the UK, I'd be asking how much you wanted for the Greenback. :lol: ) That being said, HNMD, good sir! What I've heard of the Jubilees has been uniformly excellent. And you can avoid dodgy rehearsal room/provided backline cabs, which is always a plus. I've lucked out on those a couple times (JCM 800, Dual Rec, with matching cabs) but it's all kinds of rare- and that was festival stuff anyhow where you'd expect they'd have acceptable gear.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:20 pm
Pendulous

Dude what the fuck. I've been lusting over Silver Jubilees hard and you do this to me.

All custom and shit.

Fuck man... :huzzah:

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 pm

Haha go for it if you can get one. Such a good toan, just like a JCM800 with a boost already in front.

Snaxocaster wrote:
Always swap your decent tubes out of whatever you're selling unless they're a selling point. :red:

I know I know :cry: I completely forgot that I put that RFT in my Laney til the guy left with it. I got it for free from a very generous Fretboard forumite so I can't complain really but fuck it's annoying me!

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:05 am
Winston Wolf

damn that is gorgeous

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:58 pm
Walrus meat

:huzzah:

Looks like a proper rock machine! I know so little about those amps. :red: I assume they are 800/Plexi-like?

The tube rattle thing I understand.. And just generally some of the stranger difficulties of a 1x12, shit getting supa hot and the concerning vibration of the cabinet when it's at full blast. :? Something awesome about the feedback and response you can get though from one speaker screaming it's ass off.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 am

To me the Jubilee just sounds like an 800 but boosted/modded for a more hot rodded tone. Bit more modern sounding and doesn't clean up quite so well - but still very nicely and much better than my Laney did. Considering I'd probably end up boosting an 800 anyway, might as well have that same diode boost already in the amp. Oh and the tone controls actually work - you can get some decent low end going on with this amp.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]