View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Been thinking about one of these for long enough... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Been thinking about one of these for long enough...
So i don't know that i can blame this purchase on impulse control issues. :lol:

$399 at Guitar Center. It is a lot of metal amp for that. I am surprised by how okay the stock speaker sounds, even how the cabinet sounds. Very usable with a solid amount of low end. A lot for a 1x12.

Just starting to mess with it, figure out its ways.

I will probably make a head box for it one day, for to be able to use it with a proper 4x12. But i am surprised by the stock cab sound being not total shit at all. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:23 pm
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Been thinking about one of these for long enough...
The light up logo has to fucking GO, though. :red:

Shit is ridiculous.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:25 pm
Walrus meat

Using this with your divebomb machine? Thrashing all around?

They are fun amps, ran into one for the first time in awhile in a recording situation recently, was with JBs and GT75 which I don't find to be the most fitting combo but still sounded pretty damn mean. Green channel is killer.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:27 pm
Winston Wolf

Just for general violences.

I bought the JCA50 as a solution to a high gainer, and it totally is, but, a 5150/6505 just has a specific sharpness of toof that i wanted to have around.

The JCA is smooth and very rock-n-roll in its feel. The Peavey is just crushed glass crankiness.

I like the green channel a bunch with nothing on it, just gain about 5-6.

But i have also been using the red, boosted with a few different bad ideas, the worst of which, is the Joyo Pocket Metal. :red: The thing is basically a simplified Metal Zone, circuit-wise, just tuned to the MT2's proper middsy sweet spot. It is just fun as hell to play. :lol:

Now i have spent more time with it, i have a better feel for the Sheffield speaker innit, too. It is actually fine, just kind of dark. I will definitely swap a V30 in there for properness. The Sheffield works, but i do wind up running a bit more treble and presence with it than you really should for the amp. :idk:

It is so much fun to play these amps though. Weirdly quiet too(noise floor-wise), for how much gain it can give. That is one of the big reasons i bought instead of built. They have done so much revision on the boards for this, it is really well done. No way a homebrew version would be this quiet cranked up. :red:

The 1x12 is exactly the right size too, i am finding. Big enough for some low end, but not sooooo big that you might as well just use a 4x12/head. The old 2x12 5150s combos were a bit like that, fucking massive to the point that you would start to question whether you wanted a combo at all.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 am
Winston Wolf

By the way, i would suggest pretty much anyone who likes a bit of violence should pick up one of these Joyo Pocket Metals.

It is tuned just right. Sounds great at low volume with the volume down and the gain up, sounds great at high volume with the gain down and the volume up.

Even kind of cleans up with the guitar volume, though when you do that it is pretty clear how the thing is focusing the midrange to get where it is going.

It makes a passable metal sound through everything i own, from the fender princeton on up. Through the marshally or higher gain ones, is is much more than passable.

Fucking $25-30 brand new; TOTALLY worth it.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:13 am
Winston Wolf

I have a similar itch with a Carvin Legacy at the moment. A friend is selling a head and I know i will buy it just because. I had one a few years back and really have no proper use for it at the moment and somehow have acquired far too many amps at the moment.

The pocket metal seems interesting, i will take one of these.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 am
Winston Wolf

Yeah, i really like it. Kind of an insta-deathmetal pedal, but, unlike other metal pedals(i have a lot i guess), it actually works loud too.

I mean, if you listen hard, you can hear the Metal Zone in it somewhere, a little, but it is set just right.

Which is actually kind of a pain in the ass with a real metal zone, because they set up the control sweep ranges so crazy.

Which is why so many people hate the metal zone though. Set right, they can actually be cool as hell.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]