View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Should I mod my superbass? 
Henry Kissinger

Post Should I mod my superbass?
Well folks should I?

Nothing too serious and I'm not taking a drill to it thats for sure. Thinking of adding a MV (into the bottom right socket, attenuated bass, no one ever uses this), upping the gain a little and putting in a cold clipping stage and finally adding depth to the FB loop although I'll probably leave it fixed rather than add a pot I'll rarely change. Am I being silly?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Should I mod my superbass?
Is it an old one? I would probably build one from scratch before i modded an old one, if a modded one is what i wanted. IMO, if the amp is currently unmolested, i would leave it as such. Even if the mods won't require drilling. The dead stock old superbass is just one of those iconic things, IMO. And there are fewer and fewer of them out there that remain in an unaltered state, also.

If it is a more recent reissue, then i would say have at it, if you are looking for something more than it provides.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:54 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
I'm with Chris on this- if it's old and unmodded, leave it alone. If it's a newer permutation or has already been fuckéd with, go nuts. For the same reason as Chris- they're in dwindling supply.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:51 pm
Henry Kissinger

Its currently stock. The previous owner converted it to a superlead and then back again and it had a PPIMV which has since been removed so it has been fucked with in the past. The original trannys are long gone so the mojo has too. I'd certainly put it back to stock if I didnt like the mod or I was going to move it on anyway. I may try it with 6550s before I go nuts though. EL34s arent doing it for me right now.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]