View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Thoughts on a year gigging with a NMV AC30. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Thoughts on a year gigging with a NMV AC30.
Snaxocaster wrote:
The C12N is rated @ 98.4db according to their web site; I do believe a friend of mine still has a couple of these kicking about he's not using. :idea:

Definitely worth a shot. 98dB is on the mid range efficiency side. That is what the greenbackish Sammi speakers i am stuck with are, IIRC. They are louder than greenbacks, and (way) louder than the crappy crate speakers i had in before, but noticeably quieter than H30s, and even more so than something like a V30. A definite noticeable difference, especially with the lower wattage amp. I was running just one for convenience, and that worked pretty okay for the mathrock thing i was playing guitar in at the time. But then when my friend was using it and i was playing drums in the other thing i was doing, it was really borderline, not quite enough. Now i run the two of them in opposite corners of an old Crate 4x12(other two spots empty) and it works much better, for volume and frequency response.

That said, i really enjoyed the Jensen/Fender speakers that a friend of mine has in his Blues Deville. I don't know what model they are though. They are well broken-in, and sound really nice for thick but still rocking sounds. That is an amp that is a bit too loud for most stuff anyhow though. On stage, he says he is barely able to crack it above two on the master, which is really at the "just barely on" point. Below that: excessive silence, above it: excessive violence. So i don't know how loud those speaks would be with a lower watt map. I should try them out wif my hobomap next time he comes by. :idea:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Thanks for your help with this, Chris. :isay:

Y'know, I never knew how efficient Blues were until I looked 'em up earlier. I had assumed they would be inefficient. They're not. :shock:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Yes sir, they are relatively superfuckloud little buggers. So cute with their little caps on too.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

i dunno if it's been said, but sounds like you need an old dr. z mazerati..

that thing is what i REALLY wanted. its a double power carmen ghia. 12ax input- so basically-- a top booster-- with 30 watts, and a one knob tone circuit.

swap your speakers.. done and done. rock solid reliable-- although not as voxy as a vox- but also not as marshally as a ghia- sos you can get some edge of breakup gain offa it- but still have headroom and control your volume. swap in a 5751 for a PI, and mebbe a V1, and you get roary kerrang. you want more gain-- ax's'll do it.

PLUS-- you get the joy of the conjunctive filter which saves a LOT of watts on the backside.

if i ever find that head, i'm swappin out immediately.

WRT to power tubes pooping.. weyull.. that be modern tubes. i get 6 months of REAL work out of a set max. totally normal stuff nowadays. i'm on a year with my current-- but i've neglected the poor thing. :(

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5