View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Thoughts on a year gigging with a NMV AC30. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Thoughts on a year gigging with a NMV AC30.
chris_d wrote:
Postscript. Snaxo, what did you wind up getting for the porpoise of recto tubeness?

I don't recall, actually, as it's been a while since I pulled the chassis. 'Twasn't NOS, but something current production but reliable. Probably JJ maybe? Not Sovtek, that's for sure (that being the problem as it's really some random Commie tube that's not to spec) I'd have to double-check.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 pm
Simethicone

torgeot wrote:
ugh. A Quandry.

You have your toan but reliability and volume can put a fucking real damper on the joy. As a quick aside, when was the last time you rewired your pedalbored? I was having issues with the Egnater :mad: , or what I was thinking was a problem with the Eggie and I decided to re-wire the pedal board and voila, issues went away. I honestly thought it was a premap tube issue as I was intermittently losing gain. My board has all newer cables but I changed them out and have not had an issue since. That was an odd circumstance but couldn't hurt. :idk: That said you have been replaced your toobs more than usual.

Sucks that the attenuator didn't workout. Maybe a different attenuator?

I'm thinking with the reliability issues a different map may be your only solution.

We initially thought it was a bad cable, swapped the front and back end cables on the board out, same problem, ran straight in, same problem. 'S dead powertubes. It's not even so much that it's randomly unreliable but that is is what it is and needs regular preventative maintenance to keep it working. Eats tubes. I mean, I can retube three or four times a year and be where I need to be, but... :facepalm:

My "keeping the thing" solution would be a different (less complex :lol: ) attenuator- love the concept of separate high/low attenuation, but struggled getting a tone out of it I could live with. It did save my ass a couple times live though- keeping everything on the same settings, always using in-ears, regularly scheduled retubes... I mean, I can roll with it, but it's a pain in the ass.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
The only problem wif the DC30, aside from their wildly exorbitant pricing, will be the EF86 tubes. Again, a case of amazing sound, but with the crippling spotty reliability problems. The amp itself will be armored personnel carrier solid(aside from the thin and fragile vinyl/tolex stuff they use), but the EF86 is well known to be an expensive and fragile quantity, particularly in a combo map format.

It will also not solve/alleviate your current power tube replacement schedule.

It is a pro amp, and reliable, but it needs to be fed tubes quite regularly. Possibly more regularly than yer current map, actually. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Valvetech Hayseed 30 is a more reliable format for the vox style, and not super pricy either.

I almost think that you might, as it seems the vast majority of your parts have some dirt on them, be able to swing an AC15 or Matchless Lightning(or clone) sort of map. If you are playing mic'd clubs then it can be the perfect format. You would actually probably be able to play many but the hugest places unmic'd also. If you can rent or borrow a 15-20w map to try out at practice it might give you some better ideas of what they are capable of.

I would say consider a 15-20w with either a 2x12 with efficient/loud speaks innit, or some type of 4x12. The head format is much more reliable due to the separation from the speaker vibration. Shit will just last longer when it is being rattled about less.

Also be sure to czech out all of the crop of recent cheaper decent stuff, the Egnater Tweaker, the Jet City 20w and 50w(but maybe be prepared to recover them to hide their uglinesses). Just to make sure that you aren't overlooking something good there. The Jet City stuff in particular, i find very intriguing. Though quite hideous visually. :red:

Also, if you find that 15-20w can cut it, there is a whole crop of stuff you could look into. Personally, i ditched EL84s a while ago because they were simply not lasting very long for me. I like Vox circuits into 6V6s, 6L6s, and i intend to try EL34s at some point. The octal tubes regain some of the overbass that is present in the large amp but lost somewhat when the circuit is reduced to lower wattage. Oversized transformers also work well for this. Matchless, Valvetech, Dr. Z, DIY :isay: , lots of different ways to get there.

I've thought that. I'm very rarely rolling totally clean. There's generally at least a hint of breakup there, if not robogain.

I'm generally always miced- I played my first unmiced gig in years a couple weeks ago, and was happy to have brought the attenuator. One of the shows we did opening for Lost Patrol. The next night I was on a bigass stage and ran the thing wide open. Unfortunately as usual (as we have a lot of gear for a four-piece) the AC30 was aimed at Mr. Chris Who Spends Most Of The Gig Behind The Synths and was thusly being blasted with an AC30 with no clean headroom left. Ken The :cop: on bass was in the line of fire as well. Not good times for them. My mix was great though. :lol:

I will get back to this post in the near future as I have to run and be productive for a bit.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 pm
Winston Wolf

Dare I say Booooogera's BC30? You could buy 6 for the price of the DC30 :red:

I've not tried one, but it's doesn't have the EF86, and the reviews are pretty swell. I don't see you as a corksniffer, so I don't think you'd even bother taking off the nameplate. :dildo:

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:25 pm
Winston Wolf

I really suspect that a Matchless Lightning or similar clone might do what you need. Or, a Valvetech VAC sort of map(6V6s, i think they discontinued them, but they are still all over the place). I don't know for sure what the VAC has for a circuit, but i can guess, and might surmise that it is similar to my map, AC30-ish front wif a 6V6 back.

If you do start seriously looking into something like a Matchless, but are unable or unwilling to pay what they ask for them, building one is always an option. I don't remember exactly, but i think the last time i looked into it it was something like $600 in parts (minus tubes) for an octal power tubed (6V6, 6L6, EL34) Lightning-esque map. :idea:

You know at least one person who would be willing to assemble such a thing for you. :hi:

No resale value(in the current market, it would never likely be worth much more than... about $600 :red: ), but if you know that you want it and that it will function for you as a workhorse live map, it might not matter.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 pm
Winston Wolf

oooh that sounds great. maybe a nicey name for it... SC-30? Snaxman? Snaxless? Bringer of Doom?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 pm
Winston Wolf

torgeot wrote:
oooh that sounds great. maybe a nicey name for it... SC-30? Snaxman? Snaxless? Bringer of Doom?

Would have to find a source for purple sparkle paint for sure.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:06 pm
Tsardocasm

Matchless HC-30. :red:

Member Of The Radium Water Gentleman's League Of Luxury.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 pm
Winston Wolf

OH. I almost forgot. Another option somewhat along the lines of the Valvtech stuff, Morgan: http://www.morganamps.com/

Lots of Vox-ish offerings, and a couple interesting ones, IMO. I actually drew up a map that is very similar to their 30/800 a while back.

There was a dood who was borderline shilling their stuff on HC for a while, but i didn't care about that much because the fucking things sounded sweet. :lol:

The pig uses the AC20 name i was using for my map too. :mad: :red:

Kind of steepy boutiquey pricing, but again, some interesting ideas, cool visuals(IMO), and there are probably a few out there that you might run across used for less at TGP-ish places...

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 pm
Simethicone

...the idea of a chris_d Matchless-based map is certainly appealing.

I'm also currently combing the TGP classifieds and Evilbay fer Matchless, Bad Cat, Z, Bogner and the like.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 pm
Simethicone

I have to say from past experience though, having previously run a Mesa Stiletto with 2 EL84s in Yellowjackets into a 4x12 full of WGS Greenie clones, that's pretty well gonna be running full-bore 100% of the time and there's no hint of headroom to be found.

Which, I guess, is okay? Until I need/want just that little bit more volume. :idk: Or need it to clean up that much more and still be heard. :?

I like the EL84 vibe. I really do, a lot. Being able to drive the front end a bit though might be advantageous. 4xEL84 with a master volume? Efficient speakers might be an answer to that question, but I've also been liking the Blues and Greenbacks. So buggered on that front.

2x84s with a quad box of Blues and Greenbacks? (LOL @ 4x12 full of Blues. Most expensive 60w 4x12 ever. :lol: )

I like the open back thing, and the 2x12 combo thing though, and am not looking forward so much to a bigass closed-back box.

Am I tilting at windmills here? Does the map I want exist?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:33 pm
Winston Wolf

How about a head and 2x12 cab. That's how I roll. Matter of fact my 2x12 has both open back and closed option. It's a copy of an Avatar design I believe. It much easier to carry a head and a 2x12 than a 2x12 combo, and you could use your existing Blue & Greenie is you are not inclined to sell your AC30, or Sell it without speaks.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Winston Wolf

I thought part of what you wanted was less tube replacing?

I am afraid that it is simply the nature of EL84s to need continual replacement. I had a really sweet pair of Sylvania 7189s that i ran for a (relatively, in EL84 terms) long time, but even they gave up sooner than i would have wished. And at that, if you tried to buy a pair of those, they go for kind of stupid dollars.

In contrast, i have been beating the hell out of a pair of RCA blackplate 6V6s, that my grandfather pulled from one of his hi-fi maps in the sixties or seventies in favor of fresher ones, for well, since i built this map, so i don't remember, but like two or three years? Plus whatever my grandfather ran them for(though granted they would not have been wailed on as i have been doing).

A 6V6 powered map can be a bit more than the 18w max that you will get out of a pair of EL84s. I wasn't expecting too much from going from about 16w to about 20-something watt, but even with the same power transformer and whatnot, going to a bigger OT (the one i have in there is technically a 30w) and 6V6s was noticeably louder through the same cabinets. :idk:

Also, you wouldn't necessarily want to run a lower watt map into greenies, as they are pretty low efficiency. G12H30s, or even a mic of them and say a (gasp) V30 or two might be a better choice. That is what the Dr.Z cabs mix, and also in a slightly altered form, what the Matchless cabs have innem. :idk:

All that said, a Vox front end into a 20-30w octal power section(6V6s, 6L6s, or EL34s) with an oversized(like 40-50w class) output transformer, should be loud enough.

In truth, with just a pair of 6V6s, i would probably not want to play some of the bigger clubs in Boston, IF they didn't have PAs and mic'd cabs. As it stands, i think i would probably be just fine. Though, for safety net purposes, the next one i build for myself will be more like 30-40w out of a pair of 6L6s or EL34s, with a nicey PPIMV like the Lar/Mar for volume finetuning porpoises.

For what it is worth, i think that a normal AC15 or Lightning, might very well bury a yellojacketed Stiletto, anyhow, strictly as a function of the respective maps' voicings. :idk:

Also, also, the beauty of low watt maps, is just that, running them full out, or closer to it (depending on venue) anyhow. IMO, another reason for me personally to steer away from the EL84 thing. I cannot afford to retube the bastards that often, obviously. :red:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 pm
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

I'm going to +1 the idea of having chris_d build you a Snaxless Lightning :panic:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm
Winston Wolf

knope wrote:
I'm going to +1 the idea of having chris_d build you a Snaxless Lightning :panic:

I would gladly do it, but like i said, it wouldn't be worth anything resale-wise. :idk: Even sweet-ass one-off builds are considered no-name DIY builds and therefore an unknown quantity, by folks looking to buy maps. As a result, even a sweet-ass one-off build will often sell for less than the value of the parts used to make it, on the open market. :mad: There are some good reasons why i don't make maps for a living, and they are not ONLY because i am broke and staunchly anti-Boutique Marketing Game BS. :red:

Snaxo would, as a result, have to be dead sure that he could work it with whatever format/wattage got built. Or he would have to get relatively lucky in finding someone to flip it to if he later decided it wasn't the thing he needed.

Methinks it more likely, that he will find something out and about that will suit his needs and also be moar flippable. :idk:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 pm
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

chris_d wrote:
knope wrote:

I would gladly do it, but like i said, it wouldn't be worth anything resale-wise. :idk: Even sweet-ass one-off builds are considered no-name DIY builds and therefore an unknown quantity, by folks looking to buy maps. As a result, even a sweet-ass one-off build will often sell for less than the value of the parts used to make it, on the open market. :mad: There are some good reasons why i don't make maps for a living, and they are not ONLY because i am broke and staunchly anti-Boutique Marketing Game BS. :red:

Snaxo would, as a result, have to be dead sure that he could work it with whatever format/wattage got built. Or he would have to get relatively lucky in finding someone to flip it to if he later decided it wasn't the thing he needed.

Methinks it more likely, that he will find something out and about that will suit his needs and also be moar flippable. :idk:

Dis maeks sense... but a Snaxless lightning has such a cool ring to it... :cop: :dildo: :D

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm
Simethicone

I do like the ring of "Snaxless Lightnting".

I am a dumbfuck and have not purchased powertubes due to some fuckery with my bank not sending me a new card after mine expired :mad: and am thus mapless for the time being. Pod XT into the PA, woohoo! :rawk: :wall:

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Walrus meat

But...

Your AC30 tones are one of my favorites.
:cry:

I myself may be getting a 15, depends..

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm
Best Supporting Actress

You need to be getting my pedals you said you wanted, before I kick your ass so bad you need depends.

Yeah, I went there.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next