View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
NPD 
Winston Wolf

Post NPD
Hmm this Wampler guy has some fine shit, I picked up an Ego Compressor. Fine device. I will only use it for clean tones to level out but it really does do a fine job at compression.
Plenty of knobs for a compressor.

I am a big fan of the blend knob. This and my Pork Loin have them, I really like that option.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: NPD
Stompystompy! Also, it is blue.

I wonder what the ratio, attack/release, etc. on guitar stompbox compressors are; they all seem to be fixed settings, or at least labeled with guitar d00ds in mind.

Having the blend function on a stompycompressor is an awesome idea, gotta say. In theory it won't step on yer pick attack that way and still bring out the sustaaaaaaaain. Alas it's not always practical to rely on tube compression from sheer volume for that. Nice. :dance:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:06 am
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:

sparkly blue!

Been reading a lot on Wamplers stuff, seems dude makes some great pedals. I'm not one to try out gear in the store. I will usually buy and try it out on my gear, if I don't like I sell it. That's probably why I buy a lot of used gear. If I buy it used I can resell for the same price or there abouts. I am very impressed with this pedal. So far :beer:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Snaxocaster wrote:

I wonder what the ratio, attack/release, etc. on guitar stompbox compressors are; they all seem to be fixed settings, or at least labeled with guitar d00ds in mind.

Having the blend function on a stompycompressor is an awesome idea, gotta say. In theory it won't step on yer pick attack that way and still bring out the sustaaaaaaaain. Alas it's not always practical to rely on tube compression from sheer volume for that. Nice. :dance:

The MXR Dynacomp, which is essentially nearly identical to the Ross Compressor, and between the two of which, about 80% of all guitar compressors, boutique or massed produced, are derived, has a stock attack of about 5 milliseconds and release of about 1 second. Though it can vary depending on who builds it and what they choose to do. My dynacomp has an 'attack' control (word on the street is that the way i did it is actually a decay control, but the result is similar in practice with a guitar in this case) so it can be set to act a bit faster. I don't actually know what speed it is at its quickest, though, it is a pretty big difference in feel. The "Sustain" control changes the threshold and ratio at the same time, but i don't know what the numbers are for them through the sweep.

One of the DIY doods did a big article on the Ross/Dynacomp back in the day a bit. EDIT: I found it, it was RG Keen: http://www.geofex.com/pcb_layouts/layouts/d&rpub.pdf It is chock full o' nerdtext, but if you are bored you might find something interesting in it, i dunno. EDITEDIT: I thought i remembered him getting into the attack/release/decay math in that, but rereading it, it doesn't appear so. Err, nevermind. :red:

I forget what the Wampler was, probably another Ross/MXR with the Barber blend knob addition and something Wampler for the tone control. It was at FSB, but they are having a legally influenced server swap for the boutique section at the moment, so i can't check.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
My question for tor would be, how bright does it get at its brightest setting? Will it do the Byrdsy supersparkleboost thing?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:56 am
Winston Wolf

chris_d wrote:
My question for tor would be, how bright does it get at its brightest setting? Will it do the Byrdsy supersparkleboost thing?

I fucked with it for only about an hour last night, maybe even less, trying to dial in what I was looking for which I found within seconds. Once I did that I was weedly weedlin' for the remainder. I will give her a real go this weekend and report back. Rumor has it, this is now THE comp. Of course that changes with the wind.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 pm
Tsardocasm

Huzzah! Congrats on the acquisition. A mighty fine choice and colour. :monocle:

Member Of The Radium Water Gentleman's League Of Luxury.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 am
Winston Wolf

Used it on the clean channel of the Shiva at a gig last night.

fucking shimmery shimmy

and yes Chris, it does. Very well.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]