View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Good OD for when you don't have your amp avalible? 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Good OD for when you don't have your amp avalible?
:idea:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:38 pm
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

I must have done something wrong when I first tried them the other way around.

Man I feel like an ass... :facepalm:

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:13 pm
Winston Wolf

The very first fuzz i built i built on vero, but i didn't understand how very layouts were drawn really, so i built the entire layout backwards, inside out really, all of the components and trace cuts in mirror image.

Amazingly, even built so wrong that pedal worked. It didn't sound like it was supposed to, but it worked. I still have it somewhere. (incidentally, this is the pedal that is why/how i know that sometimes, some fuzzes will work (a little anyhow!) no matter how the transistors are oriented. :red: )

For me, the only option was to rebuild the entire board on a new piece of vero. You are lucky that all you needed to do was turn the trannies around.

And, now you know that the little tabby thing sticking out of the transistor shows which pin is the emitter. :huzzah:

(Some transistors, like some germanium ones, especially, don't have tabs, but rather have little red dots that indicate the same thing: the emitter. Knowing this makes some tracing and troubleshooting much much easier. For instance, that is the first thing i saw, was that the tab was not visible, so it must have been on the far side of the transistor, which would have made the bottom-most pins on the trannies the emitters, and because it looked like they were going straight to the bias resistors, they were probably in the wrong way, as the emitters should generally go towards ground, or gain controls or whatever, not the bias resistors/voltage supply. In a a typical fuzz setup anyhow.)

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:21 pm
Winston Wolf

But the real question is, anyhow, how does it sound?

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Very different from the big muff I have (which is expected). More of an even(eq wise) fuzzation of the guitar tone. Its does warms the guitar tone. Its thick and it loves the neck and middle of my strat. Sounds more or less what I was expecting. I may want a little bit more bass from it but that might just that the strat is bright and I'm testing it with my spider 3. The fuzz knob doesn't do too much until its past 3'oclock where it goes from cleanish/ODish fuzzy to super fuzz awesomeness. I'll try to make a clip demoing the FF and the Timmy soon.

As for transistors... I need to thick of them likes tubes... the tab points at the cathode, the middle is the grid and the top is the plate. I knew what I wanted in the schematic, I guess the layout kinda messed me up :idea: :idk:

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm
Henry Kissinger

Got bored last night and started work on making a titan out of some spare bits I had.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:21 am

Funny, that's just about the size of perf board I have leftover after building these two pedals... :idea: Nah, I'll just make a transistor testing circuit instead :dildo:

I made a clip of the Timmy!!! Both guitars are just the Timmy into the LexTac

http://soundcloud.com/antonio-l-rosario ... sigh-no-eq

When I make a clip of the FF, I'll use the Timmy in a cleanish setting as everyone seems to like it. :red:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:05 am
Henry Kissinger

Get it made!
Pins 1 and 8 if the IC are connected via a 10µF cap which runs the chip at a max gain of 200! Putting a resistor in series allows the gain to be dropped down to a minimum of 20. Might try putting a resistor on a switch to operate the pedal as a clean boost.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 am
Winston Wolf

Zozobra wrote:
I dont suppose you have the LM351 data sheet with the active bax in? I'm sucking at finding it :poop:

You know, i was looking at some random EQ stuff just now, and i came across this:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lf353-n.pdf

And i wonder if that (see page ten) is not actually what the dood at HC was actually referring to.

If that is in fact what the guy was on about, then i have actually already built that one, as it is the same as the one in the TL082 data sheets.

Oh well, my search for the ideal EQ continues. The thing i have on the breadboard now is sooo almost close to being good. I just need to get some EQ shit figured out.

Also, really high gain circuits kind of really suck on the breadboard. There doesn't seem to be enough isolation between the traces or something. Really messes with how the circuit works on the board versus how it will work when actually built. Kind of a pain in the sack.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4