View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Yeah or nay? 
Winston Wolf

Post Yeah or nay?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:22 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Yeah or nay?
Very interesting. I have my own theories as to what they are inside, but would definitely be curious to see for real. They look a little small to be tube-based, so i am assuming SS?

There have been DIY JFET-based projects out for a couple years now based on the XTC and Uber. In clips i must say, they sound pretty decent. I don't know that it is really necessary to do what they do the way they do it though. It seems to me that someone with the technical know-how could reproduce what the amps do gain-wise and frequency-wise with somewhat simpler means. Though it is really really simple just to hack together the JFET workalike. [Essentially, each JFET is wired into the straight up amp circuit in the place of the preamp triode stages, and the JFETs operate in a "close enough" sort of manner to make the pedal act fairly similar to the tubemap.]

Also, it is easily shown how successful a solid state design can be for high gain stuff. Randall and Ampeg both have made that point quite clearly.

And the Bogner amps are generally so warm in the way they are voiced, that it would seem to be relatively simple to simulate, at least mostly, that sort of voicing in SS form. Because the main issue with SS clipping, is that it is brighter and harsher in its harmonics than tube clipping is. So in theory, voicing the thing darker like a bogner map, would allow filtering out of some of those less nice upper clipping harmonics....

Also, some of the things like the voicing toggles and shit like the inductor in the Uber would seem to be possible to bring in to pedal form, and then be expected to operate more or less like they do in the real amps.

Any word on how much $$ they are going to want for them?

Definitely interested to see 1. How much, and 2. What they decided to go with for a circuit to make them.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm
Winston Wolf

no word on the price. Of course the snobbery at TGP is speculating $299-350, there is no word at all yet.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:06 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
From my perspective? HELLS YES SILENT BOB.

Chris handled the techybits quite nicely. On my end, if the thing sounds at all like it should, Ecstasy Blue would go on my board post-haste. (Once the TGP/HCAF folks get bored with them after a month or two and sell them off for a hundred less than they paid.)

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm
Pendulous

It does seem like it might be a similar to the SLO based pedal I have, which is supposedly the preamp with JFETs instead of tubes if I'm not mistaken... much like Chris says...

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]