View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
MXR CSP104 
Winston Wolf

Post MXR CSP104
Picked up one of the MXR CSP104 custom shop DIst +, Handwired, oldschool, no led no battery.

Does not sound at all like the last Dist+ I had. This has a lot of balls in it. Very nicely done.

It definitely has it's own tone, sounded great plugged into the 78 JMP. I cannot sell that thing.

http://proguitarshop.com/mxr-csp104-vin ... rtion.html

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: MXR CSP104
Noted. A Distortion + into a JMP would do a good Randy Rhoads, wouldn't it?

Also, I really like the toan in the video when he's playing Sabbath. What's the LP-ish thing he's playing? And did he play all that without a pick? Awesome. Extra points for vibrato on the chords for proper Sabbath.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
Noted. A Distortion + into a JMP would do a good Randy Rhoads, wouldn't it?

Also, I really like the toan in the video when he's playing Sabbath. What's the LP-ish thing he's playing? And did he play all that without a pick? Awesome. Extra points for vibrato on the chords for proper Sabbath.

Do you have a link to said video? Is it the one where he's playing at a tv station or something.

If you want to hear the Real Randy Rhoads tone, you have to listen to the Tribute album. His recorded tone of Blizzard and Diary were mixed terrible or recorded terrible. The mix on Tribute was his actual tone, and yes I did see him live in 81.

Randy played a '74 LP Custom exclusively except when he had Grover Jackson make the famous Concorde (now the RR V) for a couple of songs and his Sandoval Polka dot V. The LP was the one used live on 90% of his stuff.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
It is interesting, i have built a couple Distortion+s, and a couple of the DOD 250s(literally like 99% the same, but with different clippers(i prefer the 250 sound to the D+ actually )) but i never quite got along with any of them.

In my case, i think it is pretty much the same story as another pedal i don't really like, and that i actually feel has a similar sonic character, the Boss DS1. That story being, that i think i just don't have the right amp to make the things not sound like shit. Because a lot of people have made them sound a lot better than what i wound up with. Bob Mould being one excellent example, his classic Sugar/Husker Du sound being a D+ into a very loud Marshall.

It seems that everyone who really loves them, pretty much uses them to boost Marshalls. For my Vox- and Fender-like amps the sound was harsh, thin, unnatural, and kind of had a boxy sort of yuck distortion. I suspect that it is simply about the brightness of the amps i like, overly accentuating the simple sharp clipping of the pedlols in question. Some day, i will have to try them into a proper big marshall i think, in order to finally "get it". :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
torgeot wrote:
Do you have a link to said video? Is it the one where he's playing at a tv station or something.

I'm talking about the video in the link to the pedal. The guy's playing Sweet Leaf without a pick and playing some LP-ish thing with an odd headstock.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 am
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
torgeot wrote:

I'm talking about the video in the link to the pedal. The guy's playing Sweet Leaf without a pick and playing some LP-ish thing with an odd headstock.

ohhh fuck... i have failure....

@ Chris I have a old DOD 250 and it has always sounded brittle to me while this Dist + does not. Then my old Dist +'s always did. Maybe it's just because this has only been plugged into the JMP and my Shiva.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]