View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Devi Ever is licensing out her pedals 
Best Supporting Actress

Post Devi Ever is licensing out her pedals
From facebook:

"I'm officially opening up the devi ever : fx brand and pedals to anyone interested in licensing them for production and sale. Doesn't matter if you are a small time DIYer looking to make some extra cash or an established builder. Drop me an email if you are interested : devi@deviever.com"

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Devi Ever is licensing out her pedals
That is a bit... different.

Would not take that tact ever. Have seen too many small time DIYers' work to want them to be allowed to sign my name to it at their discretion.

Also can't imagine a licensing fee system that could ever make it worth it for both a large manufacturer and a small DIYer to want to actually pay up. The wildly varying DIYer build quality, one would have to assume, would cheapen the value of the consistent large production run stuff. Both being of course equally "legitimate" Licensed Devi Ever products.

Just seems like it is only half of an idea. That doesn't make a ton of sense if you spend much more time thinking about how it would/wouldn't work.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm
Winston Wolf

I saw the post and was thinking along the same line as Chris. Is she just tired of making the shit?

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:17 am
Best Supporting Actress

I imagine she believes that the success her pedals have would translate over to her simply becoming a "designer" who licenses out her designs instead of producing them herself.

Problem is, while her pedals are popular I just can't see her designs being all that ground breaking, at least not on the the more popular/standard models without joysticks and such. Why license a copy of her fuzz design which is essentially a copy of a fuzz design that isn't all that difficult to produce in the first place. There are plenty of mass-produced and boutique fuzz pedals out there already, and no one is looking to pay more to produce them.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Yarr, for sure the other thing is, that she is already selling a lot of her basic designs relatively dirt cheap. So a large licensed run might be able to work, but for a small DIYer to actually produce a short run, with the licensing fee added, it seems quite likely that the random DIYer would actually have to charge more than the "real deal" Devi Ever stuff goes for.

I suspect that maybe she is just tired of doing full production, and maybe is seeking a more passive sort of income source from designs that she no longer really cares to build?

But for sure, the designs that folks are IMO most likely to build, are going to be those oddfuzzes. And those designs are generally pretty simple, fairly widely known, and really not worth very much money(relatively, compared to some of the properly big money builders like Zvex) once built.

Actually as i mention him, Vex, for instance could probably get away with licensing agreements a bit more successfully than i would expect it to go for Devi. In a way Zvex already does this with the Vexter series. Just, they produce those themselves, don't have to pay a licensing fee, and just benefit from sort of outsourcing their designs kind of to... themselves, for a lower pricepoint without the fancy handmade/handpainted vibe.

That, strikes me as a cleverer way to approach this sort of thing. But definitely not a passive way to get income from the designs. I don't think that a passive way exists that would function very well. Surely it would already be very popular amongst hack DIYers if it did. Folks who are that type of lazy, tend to be weirdly resourceful in sniffing out this sort of shortcut if this sort of shortcut is actually available. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]