View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise.

Sonically, it reminds me of some stuff I got out of the Geiger Counter. Also, sweet metalpunch labeling.

Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise.
I enjoy it, but it seems less repeatable than the geiger counter seemed to be. That isn't really a minus though.

This one sounds/looks more like a more-standard Crazy Fuzz(like the fuzz factory, i.e. something whose clipping section is based on mis-biasing something on purpose), while the geiger counter actually seemed to be something different than that. I.e. the Geiger is crazy, but whatever digital element of control they gave it, seemed to make it more likely that you could get really close to the same sound twice if you remembered all the settings.

The Crazy Fuzzes of the standard/misbiased sort of flavor, are, purely in my opinion, a bit more of a "lets see what happens when we set it this way today" sort of affair. You can get similar results, but you will usually wind up setting the knobs and switches in different places to get them(there are technical reasons for this for sure). The upside is that occasionally with that type of noisemaker, you will get something completely unexpected and amazing out of the thing, that you cannot explain or repeat. Kind of a modular synthesizer, "keep the tape rolling, because i don't know if i can get this sound out of this ever again" sort of vibe. Which is awesome in its own way.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat May 10, 2014 8:13 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Post Re: Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise.
Having had the Geiger Counter for a good while, you can Get A Thing with accuracy close enough for government work if you have the settings written down. Now, there's the bastard pushbuttons they don't explain in any way, shape or form in the manual, but if you note what combination of LEDs are illuminated, you can get back to where you were, or at least as close as possible without stepped controls or the ability to save settings. Love that thing, wish it had memory.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]