View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Bass dirt... 
Walrus meat

Post Bass dirt...
Any standout preferences here? Alex and I have been looking around for a proper bass dirt pedal for awhile and it seems to be a sort of limited market. The biggest problem seems to be finding something that doesn't turn your shit into a guitar while still having a lot of gain on tap, without a great compromise on clarity. Sansamps are cool and whatnot, but that is not really the desired tone here.

Alex bought on those tiny little Mooer pedals that's pretty rad, s' called a Thunderball. Does a great job of keeping the lowend intact and has a lot of gain (too much, really) but is pretty muddy. It's a step in the right direction however and will surely still get use, but: have you found something that really gets the job done at being fat but mean and can handle some shreddiness without turning to mush?

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:58 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re: Bass dirt...
Bass Muff Deluxe with the crossovers and such. Me and the bassist from a local post rock band went through about every bass dirt/fuzz pedal available and that was both of our favorites.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
How much dirt? Do you have an audio example of the type of flavor you seek?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:52 pm
Walrus meat

Devin: That looks and sounds really rad, checked out some videos. Crossover feature looks very useful. I would still consider this a contender, but I think it's maybe more fuzz than overdrive. Still relevant, however.

Chris:

Something kinda like this, but maybe not quite as distorted. This was, IIRC, an OCD. One would maybe think, "well then get a fucking OCD". We have one however, and it's cool but isn't quite fat enough. Granted, I am getting my SVT-2 Pro back today from a friend and that might make a huge difference. Not that I have any intention on lugging that to shows. :red:

Point is, the pedal in question would have enough lowend to sound nice and fat even through a decent setup. Typical bass rig over here is a PV MK III, decent head. I would think with a finer pedal that a mighty fine tone could be attained.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:59 pm
Best Supporting Actress

The boss ODB-3 isn't actually so bad for not-fuzzy bass tones.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

I could see the OCD doing that through a proper amp.

For me personally, i tend to like guitar overdrives most for bass buzz. A bass, IMO, already has plenty of boom, and generally i feel it has too much when the playing is going to be busy, and losing some low through a guitar OD is not a big deal for me.

That said, along the OCD line, i would also suggest trying out something like the Zvex Box Of Rock(surely someone has ripped this off for cheap by now, no?), especially the newer one(Distortron?) that has the tone switch on it.

In fact, in general, something that allows you to try out a couple flavors of input cap(the main reason a "guitar" pedal will heavy cut bass frequencies). Generally, i don't think i would end up using the full frequency setting on a bass, choosing instead to lop off some of the low end for porpoises of clarity. Doom bands can get away without tending to the low end at all, but folks who play more notes, IMO, often choose to cut some low/mud out.

YMMV. :idk:

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:18 pm
Winston Wolf

It is worth noting, i think, that in that mix, soooo much of the low end is taken up by those toms, that the recordist(sounds like K. Ballou?) is more than likely doing a fair bit of frequency carving on that bass to make it audible/not a muddy disaster of low end murk.

As an aside, i think you poasted this band elsewhere before, but i didna listen then. I diggit, and should probably hunt down the rest now. :red:

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm
Winston Wolf

I used the boss one that Dev mentioned and loved it. I'm not a huge boss guy bit that one did what I needed for bass. I used and old 70's bass muff and big muff. And they worked at the time. Was then70's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]