View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Reverb Pedal Thread. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post The Reverb Pedal Thread.
I am considering the following to add to the collection once I have cash dollars again in the near future. Methinks I'mma have to compare them in person- which means actually physically going to a real physical guitar store that has them in stock. My concern is mostly the effect 'verbs- the normal 'verbs are all Lexicon stuff and known quantities (and quality) anyhow. I want to see how they compare for weirdness.

Presets and MIDI would be nice, but that's not happening without a rack unit, or a pricey-ass Strymon or Eventide box.

Thoughts?

Also, let's make this the general-porpoise reverb thread for reverberant discussion of reverberation. :snax:

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:00 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: The Reverb Pedal Thread.
BAST RVRB PEDLOL EVAR:

A close runner-up:

Anyhoo.

Beginning to tire of the octave up shimverb thing. That said Digitech is still doing some nice stuff. But the gimmick settings (halo, reverse) on the Polara sound like shit to me. :idk: Decent 6g15 though. Still not right, but i think folks are getting closer-ish.

I didna realize that the Hardwire one was made in the USA. Are all the hardwires like that? If so, then pretty cool. In general, i thought that the gimmick settings on that one sounded (slightly) better, though it may just be a user thing. Supernova, shimmer, shine, pherb, all sound more terrible to me than not though. The dudes in church bands are going to fucking love these pedals. The spring setting on the hardwire is much worse than the other as well, to my ears. Overall, an excessive delay element to all of the sounds. Would rather run a "normal" reverb into a decent delay(or vice versa) and have more control over the details, personally. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Actually, personally, i don't see these being to much better than the olde Line6 Verbzilla in many ways.

Or for that matter the $40(what's up with this, i am pretty sure mine cost $15?) verbzilla clone:

True bypass is nice, but i think that personally i would just run the behringer through a bypass loop pedal. I don't like fake reverb too much though, so my opinion is largely invalid. :lol:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:57 am
Winston Wolf

Post The Reverb Pedal Thread.
Hmm I was a bit impressed by both of those demos. I have two reverb pedals now a HOF and some little Mooer reverb. I use the spring reverb in the Bogner and both reverb pedals sit in the pedal cabinet in boxes. Actually the little one sit on the GnR board for the acoustic guitar out. I am not the best when it comes to asking about reverbs. I think they always sound better whn someone else uses them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I wound up acquiring a Digitech Polara last week and brought it to rehearsal today. If I had some adequate method of making clips at home these days I'd demo something up. The spring 'verb is pretty damn fine for a digital unit; Chris from Garda and I were both impressed by it. An amp builder guy he works with has the Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb and was similarly pleased with it. The amount of sproing-y-ness and slapback-ishness is controllabe through tweaking the pedal, for whatever that's worth. He brought a Fulltone Supa Trem he just picked up in trade for some speakers and between the two we could conjure up some convincing faux-vintage trem and 'verb sounds. Neither of which quite hold up to his actual '72 Fender Super, but for pedals, we were pretty pleased. We could coax a good David Gilmour on Shine On You Crazy Diamond impression out of 'em as well. And the room 'verb is pretty impressive. Overall I think it's probably a bit nicer than my old EHX Cathedral, which is hardly crap.

I found the effect 'verbs to be usable for my porpoises, but I like that kind of thing. :red: It's very application- and setting-dependent, though.

Re: Chris's earlier question about the better Digitech stuff being made in the US, apparently the first runs are US-made and later runs are imports, according to... I think the dude who designed the graphic on the Polara. Which, by the way, makes the text almost illegible.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]