View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Official "Look at this pedal I made" Thread 
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re: The Official "Look at this pedal I made" Thread
chris_d wrote:
torgeot wrote:
it's a fucking hard drive.

INDEED. :dance:

IIRC, it was an old Maxtor that shat out on me years ago. Most HDDs have really fucked up shapes inside, but this particular one is almost exactly like a normal Hammond pedal enclosure.

:idea:

THE NOTCHES!

God that is awesome.

You now have me looking around the hotel for random metal boxes I can recycle.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

This one is working beautifully.

The BMP on the other hand, has a lead on me 2 - 0. I am hoping tonight to at least avoid a shutout, but if I can't get it to work then it is off to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

I can't wait for Chris to tell me, "The problem is, you suck with electronics." :cop:

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
This is what i did to my Shredmaster copy the other day:

I still need to rename it and make some sort of proper graphic for it though.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Interesting.

My guess is the More/Less switch controls the boost you added the second footswitch for.

What does the High/Low switch do? And is it me, or are the knobs in reverse order from how I remember a shredmaster ... *googles*

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

The more/less switch removes a resistor from the circuit, giving it a gain boost. But, with the resistor out, it also means that minimum gain on the gain pot is more gain than it normally is, which already, is not very clean. So i added it as a switch so that i could decide which way i liked better. Actually, i am probably going to get rid of the switch now that i have been using it for a few days. I usually just leave it on the "more" setting.

The footswitch is kind of a slicktrickery. It is not actually a real boost. Rather, it changes up how the gain pot is wired, switching it from wherever it is set, to a spot where it is as if the gain pot is at zero. This is because i realized that after some of the other changes that i made, i now like the lowest gain setting on the thing. Before it was quite dull and lousy, now it is actually useful. BUT, the main thing this will be set at is max gain, as that is the thing that is best about this pedal. So i figgered out a way to just switch the pot wiring with the footswitch, to go from minimum to maximum(or whatever the pot is pointing at) rightquick. The bodge is an interesting mixture of clever, and ghetto, so i am quite a fan of it. There is a volume bump from low to high gain, but it actually works for what i need with the bump, so i haven't done anything to counteract it.

The High/Low switch controls a filter that is on the end of the circuit. The Low position is the stock Shredmaster one, which is really pretty dark, but has a nice character to it. The High setting is much brighter and gives the gain structure an angry edge to it that is also nice. It also makes the low gain settings a bit more sparkly.

I actually have a whole pile of other things that i am going to do to the Shredmaster circuit, but i will probably build them from scratch as a new pedal rather than mod this one any more. What i have drawn up should allow the one circuit to do the whole classic Marshall pedal triumvirate: The Shredmaster, The Guv'nor, and the Bluesbreaker, and then also some of the boutiquey takes on those, like elements of the Analogman KOT, and the Suhr Riot.

The schematic i have drawn up looks ridiculous though, and i am going to have to decide how much of each circuit i really want in there. At the very least, i am going to try to do all of the stock original Marshall pedals in one.

Because this is the kind of thing that i do when i get bored. :facepalm:

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:54 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Reading all of that makes me feel a lot worse about the whole "can't get the BMP to work," situation.

Edit: Also, when it comes time to build the Fuzz Factory (if I can build up the confidence to attempt one :facepalm:), I must learn how to do this pot reversal trick.

That would be sooo fucking perfect. I usually run my fuzzes at extreme gain levels, but it would be nice to go for that low-gain fuzz toanes at the stomp of a switch. That combined with the LPB-2 in front could make for a pretty versatile fuzz without much knob fuckery.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Michael Anthony Fanclub President

Chris, the reclaimed enclosures look awesome :love:

This is the best I have. I want to do another BYOC some time. I'm after a Delay right now, but building a delay seems a bit more complex.

It sounds great :love: I still need to get a new JRC chip for it seeing as I ruined the last one.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:02 am
Henry Kissinger

Rehoused a big muff (triangle spec, BYOC) I made ages ago but forgot about:

Finished it with a wire brush in my drill press to scratch the shit out of it until it got a cool texture. Havent really managed to get a decent picture of it but they'll do.
It got various mid options from stock, flat to boost. The tonestack can be bypassed too. With the mid boost it sounds absolutely satanic through my superbass and P90s!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

CHRIS. I want that bunny box pedal

Indeed

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:12 am
Winston Wolf

GnarlySheen wrote:
CHRIS. I want that bunny box pedal

I wish the tin boxes were a lot more sturdy, i would use them for everything. They are really bendy though. If you turn it on with your foot, the whole thing squishes like it is on springs or something. :red: It is hard on every part of the pedal unfortunately, and i often need to fix stuff where wiring gets screwed up from the box bending around.

But yeah, otherwise, the bunny graphics are pretty fucking sweet.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2