View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
HNMD! Oddball Oldmic. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post HNMD! Oddball Oldmic.
Courtesy of Jim from my metal band. It's from an old reel-to-reel, or at least that's what it came with, to the best of his recollection, and he figured I'd have more use than it than he would. It's kinda small and vaguely frog-shaped. I have no idea what it is; it has no identifying markings.

It has a 1/4" connector, unbalanced. I plugged it into a line in on my Saffire and it works. It's surprisingly clean and clear, if a bit muffled in the top end. That's just me talking into it at 3 AM though; I can't speak for how it takes volume or how lo-fi or not it will get. It's heavier than a 57 or 58. There may have been a badge on the underside at one point but it is long since gone.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:34 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Post Re: HNMD! Oddball Oldmic.
Looks badass... like an old school radio mic from the 30s. I'll bet it sounds as cool as it looks.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:36 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
It's definitely old, that much we know. We were talking about using weird old mics for effects- the Green Bullet as a drum room mic, the Placid Audio Copperphone, going to the flea market and finding random oldass mics that were never meant to be in a recording studio, and he's all like "I have this thing" and busts it out of a closet and hands it to me.

It's kinda muffly, but with better low end than you'd expect. Needs lotsa gain. And it has that "old electronics" smell. :love: Definitely not a crispy or modern sounding mic, but I can totally find a use for this. It's not so lo-fi it distorts just from talking into it, but it does have that bandwidth-limited thing going on.

I think I might bring it to the studio for the Garda vocal session. :idea: Run it through a talkback compressor or an old broadcast limiter or something.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:46 am
The Cream Of The Crop

It looks lo-fi, which is definitely a good thing. Capsule is probably made of paper. Dan (newholland) would definitely approve.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:48 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Hmm, i wonder what is inside it.

For sure, most/all of those cheapo oldies will be missing a pile of top end. Therein lies their charm. The top end comes in the form of tape hiss, everything else is midrange. :lol:

I could even be a carbon mic, like what is in telephone handsets... :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]