View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
new machine questions. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: new machine questions.
newholland wrote:
hey chris-

you had any problems going back and working on reaper 32 masters in reaper 64?

i could REALLY use the headroom this new thang'll give me with the new processor-- i'd be bummed if the program didn't want to deal with the old masters! i would think there'd be no issues, 'cause a .wav is a .wav... but is an .rpp and .rpp?

I haven't run into any issues so far between the versions. It is enough of a non-issue that i often forget which system i recorded something on originally, until i really think about it and figure out that it was on my old Windows XP/32bit laptop. :idk:

Occasionally i will open up an old project and it will complain about not being able to find a few VSTs that were proprietary to something else i had installed on my old 32bit rig, but that isn't Reaper's problem at all, but rather the fact that i couldn't install the Sony Sound Forge version i had, under Vista(the pricks wouldn't patch it, instead trying to extort the purchase of a $500 license for the next version number! :mad: Which sucked because i liked the reverbs and limiter they had and used to put them kind of on... everything.). I don't know if you have any VSTs that won't follow you to your new rig, but really that is all i can think of that i have run into. Definitely not a Reaper issue though, just a regular "migration to a new system and OS" sort of thing.

Nothing else really. That really is one of my favorite things about Reaper so far, for all of the hundreds of updates, they have not yet managed to break anything for me going from older to newer. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

chris_d wrote:
newholland wrote:
hey chris-

you had any problems going back and working on reaper 32 masters in reaper 64?

i could REALLY use the headroom this new thang'll give me with the new processor-- i'd be bummed if the program didn't want to deal with the old masters! i would think there'd be no issues, 'cause a .wav is a .wav... but is an .rpp and .rpp?

I haven't run into any issues so far between the versions. It is enough of a non-issue that i often forget which system i recorded something on originally, until i really think about it and figure out that it was on my old Windows XP/32bit laptop. :idk:

Occasionally i will open up an old project and it will complain about not being able to find a few VSTs that were proprietary to something else i had installed on my old 32bit rig, but that isn't Reaper's problem at all, but rather the fact that i couldn't install the Sony Sound Forge version i had, under Vista(the pricks wouldn't patch it, instead trying to extort the purchase of a $500 license for the next version number! :mad: Which sucked because i liked the reverbs and limiter they had and used to put them kind of on... everything.). I don't know if you have any VSTs that won't follow you to your new rig, but really that is all i can think of that i have run into. Definitely not a Reaper issue though, just a regular "migration to a new system and OS" sort of thing.

Nothing else really. That really is one of my favorite things about Reaper so far, for all of the hundreds of updates, they have not yet managed to break anything for me going from older to newer. :idk:

aw PHEW.. that's as good a news as I've ever heard out of something computer related... :D basically, i just won the lottery then. 10x the power, and no penalties!

all of my VSTs are basically 32 bit stuff that was free anyhow.. and from everything I read, x64'll run the lot of 'em anyhow.

aw crap i can't wait til that box turns up dammit!

hey-- would i be pretty well served by any old 1 gig vid card? them shits are like $30 nowadays, and lifting the additional weight from the cpu will be good-- is there any difference for a machine running ONLY reaper, basically, or would just any cheapie work fine?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:37 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
For a recording system, if anything, you would WANT a stripped out basic video card. Just pick one that will fit in whatever slot you have available(i.e. PCI, PCIe) and you should be fine. Definitely stay away from the VIA and similar 'offbrand'-y chipsets. Stick to the big two of Nvidia or Radeon at the very least.

Ideally if you can find one that doesn't have/need a fan you might look into that, if only for the reduction in noisefloor that one less fan will provide. One caveat for this though, is that sometimes the fanless ones might have much larger heatsinks on them, which in some cases can cause the card to take up two spaces of in-case real estate instead of one.

I think you probably should be able to find something simple and fanless that will work though. I would probably stick to a Nvidia chipset myself, as they have served me well over the years as being a little less likely to run into compatibility issues with the interactions between various systems and software.

I would even say that you *might* not even need a 1GB card. A 512MB might do the trick. Though i am sure that Windows 7 wouldn't mind a bit extra there at all, i don't expect that you would run into any issues with a 512MB either. :idk:

EDIT: Windows 7/Aero appears only to require a minimum of a 128MB, DX9, Pixel Shader 2.0, video card. I don't even know if non-compatible cards are available new on the market anymore. :lol:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

shipped!

aaaaaAAAAHHHHHGGGGGGGHHH!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2