View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Okay. bro. Getting a recording set up together, 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Okay. bro. Getting a recording set up together,
Broseidon wrote:
As for.the interface, how are the preamps on those Tascams if anyone knows? I want something I can record quality shit on that I will never grow out of.

Maybe look into Focusrite or RME if you want superduper-above-average quality. Just expect to spend three times as much or so. Depends on where the trade off sits for you.

Myself, i would go for the Tascam, because, worst case scenario, i am a nerd and i can modify the preamps later. Realistically, i might not ever do that though, because frankly, i don't give a shit. :lol:

Sound quality is important, don't get me wrong. But i try to be wary of listening a little too closely to Gearslutz/TGP/whatever sorts of audiophile considerations.

If i was building a "pro" setup i would never grow out of, it would 1. not be laptop based., 2. Not use a firewire OR a USB interface.

Right there at the start i have two problems. So i choose to get my hands on whatever i can, and make it work for me. What you want to do, i don't know.

Tascam preamps are known generally to be decent-to-lesser quality though, for sure.

I loved the ones in my old 414 though... :idk: They way they sucked was glorious.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 am
Winston Wolf

Oh, and for mics, my view is about the same. You can get very far for very cheap these days.

You already have some ubiquitous shure dynamic action.

I would say, get a pair of MXL LDCs (like the V67s) or something with smaller/mid-sized capsules like the 990s.

And then i would get something good for a kick mic like an AKG D112 or a Shure Beta 52 or like snaxo mentioned the D6. IMO, unless you just really like tinkering with EQs and mixes, spending a little money on a nice kick mic can make things a fair bit simpler for you.

For mic cables, i actually have been quite happy with the ghetto pack of ten 20' MusiciansFriend-branded ones i got for like $50 on an xmas sale or something?

They are not quite as nice as pricier name brand shit(hard to explain, but they definitely aren't as nice, slightly smaller cable probably, and slightly cheaper looking/feeling connectors on them) BUT they are not any more noisy and none of mine have broken in several years of recording here and elsewhere. And for that little money for balanced XLR cables, shit, i have never seen anything close. :idk:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:05 am
Walrus meat

Snaxocaster wrote:
Buy used and you can go a long way for 1 large.

That sixteen channel Tascam deal certainly gives you the most ins for yer buck of anything that I know of. I like the Focusrite stuff for how they sound (and a number of us on here have them) but scoring a used one is a bitch and a half. Honestly most stuff sounds decent enough these days, better than an old Mackie board at least and plenty of records were made on those, and we thought those were good-er-ish! It's just clean, straight up. More or less.

Which would leave you with $700 for mics. And you have both a 57 and a 58 kicking about. Now, I suppose you'll have to factor in cabling too, but a workable 20' mic cable can easily be had for under $10. You're dealing with a balanced signal here versus the cable for a guitar rig, which is a totally different animal. Can you swing ten bucks and not have to factor it in?

So... you have two okay utility mics, $700 +/- and a four-piece kit to mic up. Assume that the mics will do double-duty on other sources. Whatchu' gettin'?

[tomaslindberg] GO! :huzzah: [/tomaslindberg]

Also, yeah, buy used, again.

Sennheiser e602/604 set is good. Rode NT5s. AKG D112. EV RE20. Shure SM7B. Bunch of SM57s. Audix D6 for the metal click in the kick. Audix i5 or Sennheiser 609 for a "better" 57? Shure KSM27. MXL v67g. Nady ribbons. Are Oktavas still cheap? There's other decent stuff too. Some of these are more pricey new but you can find deals. Message newholland. It should show up in his email inbox. He's good with this stuff.

If you spend enough time on Craigslist, seven bills will net you fourteen 57s. You could beat a man to death with a sack of fourteen 57s and it would still sound at least okay if you dialed it in right.

Think about it. :lol:

Also, yeah, for four mics on a drum kit, Glyn Johns is the way to go. You place 'em right you'll be surprised how much body you get on the toms.

D112 and a pair of NT5s both used you could score for five? Even cheaper with v67gs, and those are okay too; how handy are you with electronics...? Shop smart, it'll take you a long way, you'll learn stuff and get your nerd on. Prioritize, I guess, and comparison-shop, check out clips. The toms you'll probably want to buff up, but a pair of 57s'll do you and they can be had cheap.

I would definitely go Glyn Johns, I have heard the results on this forum many times and I dig the sound, nice and open sounding. And I will do some recording of a bigger kit and would probably just throw 57s on the toms (I have access to a dozen or so :lol:) and DI the triggers and call it a day. I guess my main concern is getting a pair of nice overheads and a kickdrum mic7 I would love to be more detailed about what I want and all but I am using a cellphone keyboard. :poop:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:12 am
Winston Wolf

Tyrannosaurus Reich wrote:
Ah we are talking about different generations.

My buddy has the 73/53 style case. Spaceship style:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4938

I would have to see it in person i guess, because to me that doesn't look wildly bigger than mine, without any other size reference to go by. :red:

Mine is definitely large though. Finding a case for it was a pain. Just a 15.6" screen, but it is practically a 17" laptop size for the case that just barely fits it. :lol:

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:13 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
A used Focusrite Pro 10 would be doable for $300, but good luck finding one. Presonus Firepod, maybe? There are a ton of those. (I seem to recall the opamps for the mic pres are socketed, too...? Could be remembering wrong, but it would make mods hella easy.)

Chris does have a valid point there too re: the "don't listen to those guys, just make music". You're not gaining any mojo by buying a little more expensive interface; it might spec out nicer or the preamps might be a little cleaner, but you're always getting the "eh" side of decent there. Source and placement trump most of the rest. Decent mics. Room is what it is, depends on the source. (Yes, it does matter, even on loudass stuff. But there's not always much you can do. 'Cept move the mic.) From there you're hitting serious law of diminishing returns stuff. Preamps are cool, but not as cool as the internet makes them out to be until you start driving them hard. Converters are cool, but nowhere near as cool as the internet makes them out to be. Shit that's in between the input and output-holes, now, that's really cool, whether it's hardware or software.

Most things these days sound pretty okay. Granted dealing with Real Live Drums you have a bit more to take into consideration. A drum kit is not Recording 101; I'm not even sure I'd make it Recording 110. (I might, but I wouldn't expect it coming back sounding good.)

Prioritize need/want to do what you want to accomplish and blow most of it on mics, assuming the original budget. It'll take you farther.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:16 am
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
Broseidon wrote:
As for.the interface, how are the preamps on those Tascams if anyone knows? I want something I can record quality shit on that I will never grow out of.

Maybe look into Focusrite or RME if you want superduper-above-average quality. Just expect to spend three times as much or so. Depends on where the trade off sits for you.

Myself, i would go for the Tascam, because, worst case scenario, i am a nerd and i can modify the preamps later. Realistically, i might not ever do that though, because frankly, i don't give a shit. :lol:

Sound quality is important, don't get me wrong. But i try to be wary of listening a little too closely to Gearslutz/TGP/whatever sorts of audiophile considerations.

If i was building a "pro" setup i would never grow out of, it would 1. not be laptop based., 2. Not use a firewire OR a USB interface.

Right there at the start i have two problems. So i choose to get my hands on whatever i can, and make it work for me. What you want to do, i don't know.

Tascam preamps are known generally to be decent-to-lesser quality though, for sure.

I loved the ones in my old 414 though... :idk: They way they sucked was glorious.

Fuck it, I think I'm just getting the Tascam. I could really use the inputs now that I am thinking about it. And it's a retarded deal so fugg it.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:20 am
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
Prioritize need/want to do what you want to accomplish and blow most of it on mics, assuming the original budget. It'll take you farther.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Especially, with technology being the moving target that it currently is. Mics are basically forever. Interfaces are changing fast.

Ten years ago USB was the only game in town. Two years ago, firewire was the present and future. Right now, i really think that we are entering back into the USB era(albeit USB 2.0 or 3.0 now).

Who the fuck knows what it will be next year. Or how cheap it will be then.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:27 am
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Oh, and for mics, my view is about the same. You can get very far for very cheap these days.

You already have some ubiquitous shure dynamic action.

I would say, get a pair of MXL LDCs (like the V67s) or something with smaller/mid-sized capsules like the 990s.

And then i would get something good for a kick mic like an AKG D112 or a Shure Beta 52 or like snaxo mentioned the D6. IMO, unless you just really like tinkering with EQs and mixes, spending a little money on a nice kick mic can make things a fair bit simpler for you.

For mic cables, i actually have been quite happy with the ghetto pack of ten 20' MusiciansFriend-branded ones i got for like $50 on an xmas sale or something?

They are not quite as nice as pricier name brand shit(hard to explain, but they definitely aren't as nice, slightly smaller cable probably, and slightly cheaper looking/feeling connectors on them) BUT they are not any more noisy and none of mine have broken in several years of recording here and elsewhere. And for that little money for balanced XLR cables, shit, i have never seen anything close. :idk:

We have a bunch of the cheapo MF XLR cables kicking around, and to be honest, when I'm doing a "serious" recording I'll grab some of the dumber stuff we have like 1000-series Monster, Blue or Mogami... But I'm really not hearing a difference. There's more noise off the gear itself. It's a balanced connection. I wouldn't take them on the road because they're nowhere near as sturdily built as a real studly cable, as Chris mentioned, but if you're just using them at home, it doesn't matter.

I would say v67s are your value-for-money option in the overhead world; very different tone than SDCs. newholland gets good tones from his; my friend Jim does as well (he actually bought them at Mr. newholland's recommendation) ...and I have a clip to send you once it's done uploading!

Those and a D112 or equivalent Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Heil, etc. would get you far for not a whole lotta scratch. A traditional large dynamic- 421, SM7, RE20- could serve for kick duty as well, but would probably like Chris said take more EQing to get a modern-ish sound. The Audix is certainly the most "pre-EQed" of those, the AKG people rip on for reasons I don't understand as I grew up with that kick sound? D112 is also cool on bass cab.

And yeah, just get the Tascam unless you want to hunt around a bit for a used interface that someone didn't break and has less mic/line ins (exponentially more useful than digital i/o for a small setup).

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 am
Scratch mixing the fossil record

ooh.. i love this sorta stuff :D

if i could make any single recommendation nowadays-- i gotta say, pick up a pair of CAD m179's. SUPER duper all purpose problem solvers... holy crap. how did i live without these things? zen pro audio has great deals.. i think it's $250 for a PAIR of 'em, and they're infinitely adjustable polar patterns WITH a pad. WHAT a mega difference they make if your interface doesn't have a pad on it in getting good clean sounds. besides all that-- they really haven't got any particular sonic bias that's irritating-- parTICULARLY not in the 6-7 k region-- which is SUPER irritating if you're recording cymbals-- and a lot of 'vocal condensers' fuck that up by boosting the top end there. the mxl 67s are great too- and better for vocals and real cymbal shankers 'cause they'll de-scree the top end nicely without needing a ton of eq- i pulled the inner screens off of mine with a pair o' pliers, and i like the way they sound that way.

but re:interfaces-- i'm pretty fond of my focusrite pro26, which you can track down on ebay for like $300.. i'm looking for another one now to chain 'em together.

SILLY how amazing even an i5 is nowadays.. good lord.. endless cpu headroom.. and if you're not running loads of virtual instruments-- no need to even jam it full of ram. i'm running reaper 32 bit with 10 gigs, and mines never so much as sneezed in two very VST full band intensive recording sessions as yet (mixing.. i don't record outputs on signal chains-- although i gotta say-- amplitube ran SUPER fast when i tried it!).

otherwise.. yup-- good advice from the gents regarding mics. i think if given the opportunity to pick 4 desert island mics for less than $200 a pop i'd pick a pair of m179s, a fathead, and probably a d112. not 'cause i love d112s-- but moreso 'cause they sound more or less like a kick drum.. and they work alright for bass. if you really wanna blow it out-- buy a heil pr40.. you will not regret it. if i could pull mine off bass cabs long enough... i'd try it in kick drum... but it sounds so damn good there most times.. i can't bring myself to do it.... :D

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:33 am
Simethicone

Last I looked, the Focusrite pro-series inyourfaces were thin on the ground if available at all used? Maybe I was looking at the wrong time? (For the same purpose...)

If you could find one for three bills, I'd snag it in a heartbeat just for the sound of the thing. The software control panel is a bit annoying. That's the worst thing I can say about it. Considering they're reasonably popular, the difficulty of finding a used one considering the thing's been out for a good while would imply to me people don't want to get rid of 'em.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:55 am
Pendulous

Hey Cam, this brand looks intriguing. And by that I mean dirt cheap.

http://www.karmamics.com

I can see that their drum mics share some lineage with Avantone's stuff (which I have been using, and am not disappoint with, excluding my one older generation tom mic) by the shock mounts the drum mics have. But dig that price there.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm
Morrissey

Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
I have one, it's great.

Apparently I am not allowed to put gear in my sig :idk:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2