View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
REE YOOO NAH TEDD... 
Scratch mixing the fossil record

Post REE YOOO NAH TEDD...
i just rebuilded my grado sr80's after 6 months of jack-busted-ness, and put a new set of squishy pads on them... SO pleased to have my long time 'real world' references back on my ears and not have them hurt. :D

talk about a marked contrast to my beyers... holy cow!

what're you gents using for checking mixes and listening on?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:00 am
Pendulous

Post Re: REE YOOO NAH TEDD...
Nothing good. Klipsch PC speakers. They sound wonderful. But they are a horrible reference speaker.

Sennheiser in ear headphones... actually these are pretty great, except they have massive bass which I EQ out before hand in my sound source. I check my mixes by loading them into the Cowon MP3 player (much better sound than an iPod) and listening with the Senn's.

I have known for a while now that I need some good monitors. It is tedious as fuck to load shit into my iPod, listen, modify, and repeat. I can't afford jackshit though.

I've also been paying a lot of attention to various earcans lately. I thought my ears must be broken because a lot of them have a 'boxy' sound that I find really disagreeable. Figured my Senn's which I'm used to must just be really scooped so now I expect everything to sound that way, including expensive closed earcans by Shure and Senn. Now I'm thinking 'maybe' not, as apparently one of the downfalls of the design is that they have this sort of boxy sounding resonance when they enclose your ear, it's the nature of the beast... says the internet. I've tried some other earcans that didn't sound that way, but they were either super coloured sounding or lacking in some of the more extended frequencies, so they would not suit my use.

Basically I don't know what to do about listening devices lately. Earcans I've tried were either cheap sounding, unreal sounding, or the 'pro'' type ones (Senn HD280, for instance) sound boxy in a way that made me think until recently that my ears might be broken. And I can't afford any damn monitors.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

HS80Ms and HD280Pros.

And a pair of Kenwood floor standers (JL801s I think?) through an ancient Technics SA-404 receiver for low end reference. Because unlike my HD280pros or my HS80Ms, they actually produce sub-40hz frequencies that I can detect in a full mix. The problem with the monitors is they don't actually go that low, and the headphones do but in a full mix it gets buried.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:02 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Lots of stuff. Mostly the Adam a5xs and Grado SR80s (they translate well from the Adams; the HD280Pros are way better for tracking 'cause of the massive isolation) for "real" work. I have Polk S4s on outs 3/4 from my Saffire as alternate monitors. I like to give stuff a few checks on other things before it's "done" though- computer speakers, the internal speakers on my laptop, and a really crap sounding pair of $5 earbuds I keep around for the purpose.

I figure if there's nothing glaringly wrong on the computer speakers and it still holds up, if I can hear the bass (instrument, not frequencies obviously) on the laptop speakers, and if there's any fidelity at all on the earbuds without EQ engaged, then it's probably alright.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
My craptacular arrangement has actually been pared down a bit. I was using a shitty boombox to monitor via Firewire(because my powered main speakers kept shutting down the 1394 connection for some fucking reason).

But now i have figured out a gloriously ghetto solution to hook up the things correctly.

So 90% of everything is monitored through a pair of these:

With the subwoofer attached. But i have the sub turned down all the way. Which, because the setup is ghetto, pretty much still produces/emanates sub frequencies, just not as awesomely ridiculously as it does with the sub turned up.

I am used to the things though. I KNOW the lower mids are sketchy as fuck on them, so i don't totally trust anything i mix on them completely. But i sort of know how to work around a bunch of their other sonic flaws.

Aside from the Logitechs, i mostly use the olde HD201s. I have a pair of Sony MDRs that my dad got me, but while they have more low end and a better looking response curve, i find the HD201s to be infinitely more useful for showing ugly mix elements up for what they are. The Senns are particularly clear on the high end. If there is something fucked up with the upper mids or treble, i will hear it loud and clear on them.

I also weirdly just generally prefer the way that they sound for general listening. Less bass, but more clarity. I suspect that i would really get along with 280Pros in light of how much i like these cheepos.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:24 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

i am SO puzzled about the love for the hd280's. mebbe MY ears are broken-- but i think those things are untrustworthy for mixing. i just can't hear midrange through them i actually like the hd201s and think they're a way better can for 1/5 the price, and i;m more inclined to trust them because they're just bass deficient, and molest the midrange way less than the 280s which treat midrange kinda as a 'sins of omission' sort of situation. the grado sr80's are chock full o' mids-- so they'll tell you everything right down the middle, and are great at telling you when you have big bass resonances 'cause they blurt below 100hz if you're too bulky. i have the beyers for reverb tails and subbass-- but the mids are still THERE. they're just a little bright.

i've definitely been going through one of those critical monitor stages as well... where i'm about to find blunt objects and beat my head because i have to sum too many things to trust what's happening. cripes, if only there were just ONE speaker that did everything-- but i reckon that wont happen til i build a proper space in my geerage.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:40 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Re: the HD280s, one of the first things I noticed about them aeons ago was how they handled the low end. You would think given the response graph for 'em they'd be very boomy and bassy in a car stereo sort of way, but they're not, at all. There's no real resonant peak where the bass gets out of control, and because of that they can actually seem bass-shy despite uber-deep lows. I know exactly why you wouldn't get on with 'em 'cause they give your fave-o-rite frequency range no respect at all. :lol: (The top end, by contrast, is just a Sennheiser thing. I listened to a bunch of high-end Sennheisers when I got the Grados, and they all have that.) I think the HD280 love is in large part for the clarity and detail in the lows and highs without getting all weird and distorted up/down there.

The AKG K240s do something similar to what the Grados do, but they're a bit more bottom-heavy. I like the Grados better- more natural sounding, and the soundstage/imaging is great 'cause of the fully open design.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]