View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Your terrible habits when recording. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Your terrible habits when recording.
Besides the sudden inability to play the simplest shit or making random mistakes for no apparent reason once the record button's hit. :wall:

I, for one, record too damn many tracks. I somehow got into my head the notion I might actually want or need all this crap in case I want to edit something? (I hate editing. As if anyone actually likes the process?) So instead of committing to a take, or even a section of something, I make sure I have a whole ton of them no matter how good the others are.

And then proceed to not label them as to which I liked at the time. Mostly. At least I started labeling the bass takes for my solo stuff if I got a really good one, and deleting the really crap ones- even going so far as to actually hit "stop" and "undo" versus throwing down yet another track knowing full well there's nothing from that last one I want.

Now, with the vocals, I've started turning over a new leaf and just stopping when I have something I like. I might keep one or two as a backup in case I missed something, but for the most part if I record something else, it's because I want to try singing it a different way or am layering stuff up.

This is only when recording myself, where I'm not on the clock and can micromanage in the worst way. :facepalm:

Dumb shit you do: go.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 am
Pendulous

Post Re: Your terrible habits when recording.
I think I might over-EQ things sometimes. What might need a little hi pass and a dip in some frequency might have a shelf here and a peak there and all kinds of business.

Also what I pass for 'masters' is laughable...

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Have largely broken my habit of over-EQ. And also of using too many mics for when i am actually looking for big/simple sounds(which is: usually).

I have also been battling pretty solidly with how many tracks of things i record. A lot of times i really don't even need to double a guitar part. Like, it literally adds nothing useful to do so. Still working on that battle though, i am down to two or three tracks instead of five or so though, so it is progress at least.

My absolute worst habit with recording though, is trying to make useful recordings of undeveloped ideas, as if polishing them will make them better. Really, forcing production in general is an issue for me lately. Many of the things i like that i have done in the past, i have done off-the-cuff, and unseriously. Many of the things that i have buckled down and tried to "do properly" have wound up sounding (to me) like something someone other than myself has produced. And in fact, sounding like something i don't even like. Sometimes, an undeveloped shitty crackly minirecorder sound, is all an idea needs. I have to learn how to jettison stuff that needs jettisoning.

Which also brings up another bad habit, that of being nearly unable to edit myself with regards to arranging separate ideas. I usually some up with too many things that can all sit on top of eachother. And the resulting carcrash cacophony, is usually not at all what i intended from the getgo. But once i have thought of another idea, i find it very difficult to forget about it. And i find it very difficult to know what to delete or turn down and where, for the dozens of different parts that i wind up having on top of each other.

Otherwise, i have a long-standing problem of completely randomly, usually when writing stuff, forgetting to arm tracks or forgetting to switch the inputs correctly, then recording what i think is a good version of something, then realizing that i have actually recorded either dead air or DC offset instead. Happens just often enough that i consider it a habit.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:00 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

i think my worst attribute when recording is probably trying too hard to press forward rather than do super comprehensive test takes- and possibly pick better mics for a given sitch PARTICULARLY on guitars and kick drum.

most of the time, i'll give it a prethink on mics and not give it a second thought when i full well KNOW i probably oughta.

i think i also don't spend enough time moving the vocal mic from a sorta defacto position that usually works, and i could probably go closer a lot of the time.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Similar to something chris said, I have a bad habit of trying to polish the proverbial turd.

Meaning, I will usually do a few rough takes and then say, "I will do better takes later and just move forward with developing the song."

Then I do some more work and things kinda work out and I say, "I really need to re-record these takes a little cleaner."

Then I never do.

So then I am trying to push production on bad tracks. And no amount of production would improve the sound as much as just recording better takes.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Cream Of The Crop

Tracking with the monitors WAY too loud then subsequently trying to mix with bleeding eardrums, while wondering why everything sounds like shit. :hypno:

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

metalfanat1c wrote:
Tracking with the monitors WAY too loud then subsequently trying to mix with bleeding eardrums, while wondering why everything sounds like shit. :hypno:

oh yeah. that too :lol: same with the cans while recording...

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]