View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Re-Amping 
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re-Amping
My band is looking to do another EP before the end of the year. We have a great local studio where our drummer our vocalist can go and knock out their tracks for cheap in a good room with nice mics. Normally we would all go an record there, but we are broke. Well not broke, but we have other things we need to budget for. We are thinking one way to reduce the cost is for us to record our tracks on our own, and send them in to be reamped. I have the Eleven Rack to record into, and the other guys have Scarlett, so not exactly super high-end stuff here. The studio has also already said they haven't had great results with reamping, which concerns me even more.

I know some of you guys have a lot more experience with the process. Think it is worth a shot? Too shitty of gear to bother? Anything we should do for best results, or advice to pass along to the studio?

I know we aren't recreating the wheel here, so I don't think it is an unreasonable plan. Also, we are a tiny pop-punk band, so sacrifices for budget are a reality we just have to deal with.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Re-Amping
Personal experience with that level of gear tells me you'll be fine. They'll serve. While a swankier DI solution is probably better in terms of getting bigger bottom or clearer top end, you're blasting this through a guitar amp with, presumably, a mountain of gain. You'll live. My small crew of noisemakers I work with do this regularly. Unless you are playing the amp, as it were, as part of your sound, there shouldn't be much issue. For fairly undynamic rock riffs, you should be good.

I will go out on a limb regarding their past experiences with reamping self-produced tracks. I am going to guess "poorly recorded"- levels either very hot or very low (probably the former), noisy, shoddy playing, etc. I treat DI tracks the same way I do anything else, and try to keep peaks around -12dB or so on the way in. This means your average level will be pretty low. Basic digital gain staging stuff. With modern 24 bit digital, you want headroom. You don't want to be slamming things into the red. Watch/listen for noise from pickups near computer monitors. Etc. Unfortunately, the onus is on you guys not to bugger up the recording. Getting it to a guitar amp is the easy part. Probably.

Honestly, if your studio peeps are making a big deal out of it, I'm tempted to say we can give it a shot here through whatever we've got kicking about at the moment, if Diezels and Mesas and vintage Marshall cabs, Warm Audio preamps, Audient converters and the like are acceptably not crap... :snax:

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:01 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Hey, if you wouldnt mind doing it we will definitely put the work in to send you whatever you need. Obviously we'd be willing to pay some moneys, not sure how much but considering the studio time you'd be saving us I am sure we can get something together. Also we aren't in a big rush, we are talking shooting to release in 2017, and its 6 songs at ~25 minutes. Actually here is a basic idea of what we are talking about, this is just quick takes I did through the eleven rack just to workshop the songs, but it''s something: https://m.soundcloud.com/dtcurrie/sets/ohwhalessneakyep

Working titles on everything ... :snax:

Either way, thanks. That gives me a way better idea of what we are looking at.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

With re-amping you can do it anywhere if that studio isn't comfy with it.

I've had a lot of good times recently with reamping. I bought a simple assemble-it-yourself box and gave it a go, and I can see a lot more of this happening.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:40 pm
Best Supporting Actress

So I think we are going to go the reamping route. Also I think we are going to beg and plead the elegant Mr. Heck to mix and master it for us as well :isay:

Snaxy, if I took the time with the fellas to get some tracks together, think you could give us a spin on a single? It wouldn't be right away, I am going to have to do so some training with the fellows to get them setup to record their stuff, and make sure they know how to hack out some clean takes. Worst comes to worst, I might have them work with a buddy of mine to "engineer" the sessions. You can message me on Facebook whatever you need from us, and I will see if we can get it worked out.

We played the next single we want to record and got a lot of positive feedback from it, so we think we may start there.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Absolutely. :isay: Reamping for you guys actually came up in conversation at band practice yesterday, as we're doing a fair bit of reamping in the near future for various persons.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 pm
Walrus meat

Oh, hell yeah. Though this is of a different nature, it's been a minute since a Mapz collabo went down.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:07 am
Winston Wolf

subscribing to this thread....

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:19 pm
Best Supporting Actress

So I am heading down south again about mid-september. The plan is to train the guys how to record the DI tracks on their own, or worst case if it isn't working out great, to go to the studio and have them engineer the sessions quickly (save money on the amp setup time, just go in, punch in and out, and be done. Can probably do it all in one day with vox and drums.)

So I should have all the tracks to play with by the end of september.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]