View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
How do you record your guitar tracks? 
The Cream Of The Crop

Post How do you record your guitar tracks?
I have my Genz Benz 2x12 in my "sun room". It's a weird 20'x8'x9' room that has awesome echoey characteristics, and 6 windows. Right now I keep an SM57 about an inch from the grille, at the edge of the dust cap at about a 15 degree angle, aimed towards the center of the cap. It's on the upper side of the cab, to avoid picking up anything from the ports. I also have an E609 about 12" back aimed right at the ass of the SM57, which I use when I record clean tracks to add a bit of verbiness.

I keep my heads in the same room as my computer, so as to make tonal tweaks while listening to the sounds the mic picks up.

I then run them through Reaper, and typically they don't require any EQ adjustments. I record a DI alongside my amped tracks as well, in case I decide that perhaps the amp I used on that particular recording isn't the amp I want to hear in said mix, so I can re-amp later.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: How do you record your guitar tracks?
It varies. For a good long while I was liking a combination of Shure Beta 58A and Shure KSM27, positioned just so on a Marshall cab with Greenies so as to more-or-less sound like the amp did in the room. I haven't used that combo much since I got the AC30, though. These days I'm preferring the big condenser or a ribbon a couple inches back. I've only used the ribbon since we moved to Snaxodrome 2.0.

When I was rawking out the sludge toans, I really took a liking to having a ribbon up on the cab, LDC about six feet back and a PZM on the floor at the door to the room I was recording the amp in. This was back at my old house where I used an unused oddly shaped bedroom with hardwood floors and high ceilings as my "live room" and the living room as my control room.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:54 pm
Pendulous

Main unit is SM57. Point it where the dust cap meets the cone, listen, adjust closer or further away from dustcap and also distance from grille cloth until I like what I hear.

I might also supplement with a second mic. I might also run a signal direct to the interface (I am quite ghetto in using a Boss DD-2 to split the signal) to run VSTs. Sometimes for fun I just use a VST, as it was for the last two drumjams.

Clean guitars I like to go direct to interface...

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 pm
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Yes/No: No
SM57 usually a bit of axis and never centered over the cone... position varies as I haven't found THAT magical spot yet

If not Ill either plug the guitar straight into the interface and have a few vst running

OR

when im not feeling lazy I'll go through my amps fx out with some impulse vst running on reaper

If I have ALOT of time I'll mix and match the guitar tacks

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:16 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

like fucking shit

Indeed

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 am
Winston Wolf

2 sm57's off the cone of my 4x12 one on a Greenback one on the G12-65 about 2-6 inches away depending, and LDC about 12-24" from cab. I've not mic'ed with my ribbon yet, but I am up to try that next

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]