View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Which Monitaurz fo' checkin my mixes and general music? 
Michael Anthony Fanclub President

Post Re: Which Monitaurz fo' checkin my mixes and general music?
chris_d wrote:
tl/dr: If you hear something fucked up, say something!

hear hear :isay:

Constructive criticism is good. I've been spending my day going through old recordings and fixing them. Mostly by reducing some horribly boxy sounding lower mids and boosting the highs a bit. Also adding a lowpass to all my drums as EZDrummer cymbals seem quite harsh through some good speakers. The actual mix of most tracks seems about right though, I'll give the Creative speakers that much :red:

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
El-Todgo wrote:
Constructive criticism is good.

I don't even require it to be constructive. :lol:

Any feedback IMO, is better than none. When i post shit, i post it for feedback, not high fives. :idea:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 am
The Cream Of The Crop

chris_d wrote:
metalfanat1c wrote:
No offense, but your mixes kinda do sound boxy as fuck. :lol:

I can attribute that to you using something shitty to mix them on, though.

:idea: Out of curiosity, what do mine sound like on real monitors? I have three or four different speakers to listen on, but none of them are actually good, so i generally just try to find a spot in the middle where none of them sound painful, and let it go. Which isn't to say that the mix won't sound terrible elsewhere...

:red:

But of late, i have been increasingly curious as to how things sound to others.

Unfortunately, if no one says things sound fucked up, a person with no way to hear the mix on decent monitors, will never know. :cop:

tl/dr: If you hear something fucked up, say something!

Usually, they have a pretty hefty spike at around 500hz, and the low end is kind of murky. It's there, and it's low end-like, but there's usually no differentiation between the kick and the bass (when there is bass). However, your drum tracks always sound downright sexy.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:08 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
metalfanat1c wrote:
Usually, they have a pretty hefty spike at around 500hz, and the low end is kind of murky. It's there, and it's low end-like, but there's usually no differentiation between the kick and the bass (when there is bass). However, your drum tracks always sound downright sexy.

Interesting! I usually scoop a bunch out of everything except the snare and guitars at 500hz. On this end, 50hz has a big peak across the board though.

And i am always fighting with the bass sound. I need to spend a lot more time figuring out what i want to cut and where for that shit. Probably has a shit ton to do with how much i pimp 50hz though... :red:

I am also generally pretty concerned about how the drums sound, so it is interesting that they sound okay on decent monitors.

Thanks for your thoughts!

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:33 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

chris_d wrote:
metalfanat1c wrote:

Interesting! I usually scoop a bunch out of everything except the snare and guitars at 500hz. On this end, 50hz has a big peak across the board though.

And i am always fighting with the bass sound. I need to spend a lot more time figuring out what i want to cut and where for that shit. Probably has a shit ton to do with how much i pimp 50hz though... :red:

I am also generally pretty concerned about how the drums sound, so it is interesting that they sound okay on decent monitors.

Thanks for your thoughts!

No problem. The guitars are where the 500hz spike comes from, BTW. Proximity effect? I know that's where any 500hz spikes come from on my guitars... I try to keep the mic backed off about an inch and a half to two full inches.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2