View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Snaxo's Studio Gear, some pedals + a nice acoustic 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Snaxo's Studio Gear, some pedals + a nice acoustic
:cry: Regretfully, my broke ass has to send a few things to a better home:

1. Rode NTK tube LDC. With original box, shockmount, PSU, and 30-foot 7-pin XLR cable from mic to PSU. Tube upgraded to NOS Tesla 6922. Heard on many clips as my main vocal mic; rocks on acoustic guitar, guitar cab, bass cab, snare drum, mono OH, room... Basically, probably everything. A big, glossy sounding mic, and the tube swap takes care of the brightness some people complain about in the stock version. Class all the way. $400. SOLD

2. ART Digital MPA Gold 2-channel mic pre. It's big, it's ugly, it's gold. Sounds kickass. With NOS Mullard 12AT7s and I'll throw in a Sylvania 12AU7 (this is my favorite, I think, for its depth and clarity. Slightly noiser than the Mullards, but not as mid-focused) and a JJ 12AX7 just for the hell of it. I have a JJ ECC802 as well, IIRC. Runs the tubes at a proper voltage. Has a nice digital out via SPIDF or AES/EBU up to 192khz as well as analog outs. Variable impedance on both channels. Separate input and output level controls, variable high pass filter, +20db boost (great with 57s and ribbon mics), tons of switchable metering, and makes a great, fat sounding DI for bass, synths and amp modelers. Overdrives and distorts pleasantly if you ask it to. Sits well alongside high-dollar pres. Excellent condition; one backlight for the VU on channel 1 is burnt out, but that's just a light bulb. $250 shipped. SOLD to Mr. Cam :huzzah:

EDIT: there's ADAT I/O on here too (albeit just two channels) and word clock as well. Lotsa features, big sound, good price, and highly regarded in the not-expensive-preamp world. Separate analog and digital output level controls. Phantom power, phase reverse, VU meter calibration trim pots, and insert points on each channel. Burr-Brown opamps in the opamp stage. Easy to open up and work on.

3. Alesis 3630 2-channel compressor/gate. Not the nicest sounding comp in the world. Smashes synths and things. Can be made nicer with a screwdriver and wire cutters by simply disconnecting the gate circuit, which you will never use unless it's in a live sound rack anyhow, if you want it to be nice. With original PSU. $50 shipped.

4. DBX 163X compressor. 1/2 rackspace. Smashysmashy fat sounding compressor. One slider for the compression plus a level trim, and a stereo link jack on the back. Instrument input on the front. Makes things fatter sounding just by running them through with the compression off. Internal PSU. Makes everything thicker sounding. Gets smashysmashy. $50. SOLD to Mr. Geoff :isay:

Bonus offer: if you purchase the studio gear, I can ship in an SKB 4-space rack (full depth, not the cheapie one). I was charging $75 for the rack locally. It has some scuffs from gigging, but it's a sturdy SKB rack. No stickers or damage. Negotiable. If you were stupid and had a lot of money, I would rack all the studio gear and ship it that way, with a ton of padding and the mic + accessories in the back of the case. Probably ship the tubes in an extra box.

5. Ibanez AEF30 acoustic/electric guitar. Transparent violet finish, flame maple top, gold hardware, MOP + abalone block inlays and binding. Fishman electronics. Kinda blingy, yeah. But it plays and records really, really well. Only ever gigged once or twice, I believe. A recording guitar, which I've recorded a lot of. You've heard it and know it records well. $250. SOLD

6. Boss HM-2. Indicator light doesn't work, missing the hideous orange knob on the gain pot. Otherwise in perfect working and cosmetic condition. $60 shipped. You guys all know what this does and all the things it can be good for. Buy mine, not from Ebay.

7. Digitech Synth Wah. Make fucked-up synth noises, filter sweeps, auto wah sounds, etc. Can also be pressed into service as a nasty fuzz, a weird octave thing, etc. Quirky pedal. Can be made to glitch in an interesting way or sound light and ethereal. Fun and noisy. You've heard me use this. $50 shipped. SOLD

8. Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar variable-shape tremolo. It's EHX, it's a trem. It gets interesting, with odd waveform shapes and the ability to produce irregularly-timed pulsations. Also, it's a pretty killer sounding conventional trem in its own right; I used this instead of the trem circuit on my Vox, if that's any indication. You've heard me use this as well. $50 shipped. SOLD

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:19 pm
Pendulous

Post Re: Snaxo's Studio Gear, some pedals + a nice acoustic
It's a shame all that good stuff has to go. I'd love to try out that DBX compressor though. How much if you ship it into Ontario?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 am
Simethicone

Unstrung wrote:
It's a shame all that good stuff has to go. I'd love to try out that DBX compressor though. How much if you ship it into Ontario?

I'll czech on that. It's not quite square, 1/2 rackspace and weighs maybe 3 pounds. I may be able to have it shipped from Ontario if I ask someone nicely if one of a few people are going over soon. Friends of mine have friends or significant others who live in Canada (my bassist's GF lives there, among others.) I could swim with it across the border as I'm only a mile or so away, but that would probably bugger things up. It would probably fit in a padded mailer easily, but I'd rather not. I'll look into this.

I actually really like the thing in line after a DI box or pre just 'cause it's a thickermaker, with the compression full off. Not that it doesn't smash things well. You could tell your kick, snare, vocal or bass just, exactly, who's in charge. They're old and cheap, but they do have A Place in a Grown-Up Studio. A very colored compressor, to be sure, but it sounds like rockfilth smashawesome.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am
Pendulous

Snaxocaster wrote:
rockfilth smashawesome.

One of my favourite flavours, there. I would like to purchase your compressor.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:20 am
Walrus meat

Eric, might that preamp still be up for grabs?

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:57 pm
Simethicone

Why yes, yes it is. The other t00b is a Raytheon 12au7, not a Sylvania- my mistake. But yeah, it's still there. :nods:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Walrus meat

Well, as sad as it makes me to take something from you that I know you're very fond of, I simply must have the fucker.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:37 pm
Simethicone

Eh, I'll buy another one eventually. Or something else. Right now, paying my bills > gear. :red:

Send me yer address and I'll bocks it up.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]