View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Fender Wide Range RI pickups? 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Fender Wide Range RI pickups?
Any thoughts? I know a few of you have spent a couple minutes with Tele Deluxes and might be able to weigh in here. Where do these guys fall on the sucks/rocks axis and how do they compare to a standard 'bucker?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: Fender Wide Range RI pickups?
Unfortunately, i only know from hearing other folks, not from playing them myself.

I know that they are widely disparaged by folks due to their not really being CuNiFe magnets and being more like a regular humbucker...

But. I keep on hearing dudes playing RI Tele Deluxes that sound fucking awesome. A friend of mine had one of those F-hole semi-hollows that just sounded fantastic for every type of music. And i keep seeing local heavy bands using them tuned down, bands that have excellent guitar sounds. The last one i saw was just cranking it through a Model T and the end result was of an extremely high quality.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:31 am
Winston Wolf

I have had 2 tele deluxes with the RI wide range. Nice pick up but, in both of my deluxes I needed something with more grit at the time. I would love to have them back in original shape now. Of course I no longer have either deluxe. I did leave the neck pup in both of mine and really loved them. Warm mellow pups for humbuckers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 pm
Walrus meat

One of my two main guitars is a Thinline Tele Deluxe, I swapped out the stock bridge pickup for one of these:

http://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custo ... #widerange

Re: the stock ones, they are to my ear a very midsy pickup. They are indeed, just some stock Fender bucker inside of a WR styled case. I liked them for what I play/ed, but I was playing some seriously fucking skronky shit at that time. YMMV.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
chris_d wrote:
I know that they are widely disparaged by folks due to their not really being CuNiFe magnets and being more like a regular humbucker...

Hence why I figured youse guyse would be a slightly more reliable source than the Vintage Authenticity Crew. I'm more concerned with their utility as rawk hardware. Specifically, if it's anything, for the neck of my silverburst Tele- the coil of the stock pickup has taken some hits since I pulled the cover, and it's sounding a little wonky with greatly reduced output as of late. The high E likes to get itself wedged under the pickup bobbin, and it has taken some damage.

Chris from Garda sent me a link to these, which are made in Syracuse, NY and he's heard good things about 'em. One of his co-workers builds Fender-flavored amps, so he has a bit of an ear to the ground in that world as well as our more usual circles: http://www.manliusguitar.com/collections/humbuckers/products/true-range-humbucker-set-limited

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:52 am
Scratch mixing the fossil record

man i love those things. i haveta admit liking tele customs better than the deluxes (the single coil bridge)- but the joy of them is still having the middle position with both a bucker and an SC.

every time i'd play a deluxe or a custom though, those buckers are loverly sounding. they're not nearly so toothy as some, for sure-- and they err on the smooth side to my ears, but they're kinda cold running beasts. seemingly totally engineered for running into angry one channel tube amps... hence, i love them. i only found them to not be super psyched (this being the originals- i dunno about the modern envisionment) getting hit with too much gain or they'd howl. that's the only reason i didn't use 'em.. but a REAL '72 telecaster custom woulda been my weapon of choice even over a les paul for a LONG time... and i'd love to have one in my hands now!

i wish i could give ya more on the pickups specifically.. but i haven't used them in any fer ril context other than giving them a lotta goes at my local guitshop back in the 90's and really lovin' 'em!

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:19 am
Best Supporting Actress

Love them in the neck. Meh in the bridge IMO.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]