View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
The Ubiquitous Mediocre Amps of the '90s. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post The Ubiquitous Mediocre Amps of the '90s.
The Ubiquitous Mediocre Amps of the '90s. Discuss. :red:

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:10 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: The Ubiquitous Mediocre Amps of the '90s.
Between three of the guitarists from my bands of the 90s, we had basically five of those amps listed...

So, yeah, story checks out. :lol:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 am
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Between three of the guitarists from my bands of the 90s, we had basically five of those amps listed...

So, yeah, story checks out. :lol:

I can verify some of these turn-of-the-century rigs as well. :lol: Never did run into the VH140C, and only know the Sovtek after the fact once they'd achieved cult status. I didn't have an 8100- which has, or had, a bit of a metal following for a while- but I did have a VS100R, which sounds exactly like you think it does and is actually pretty identifiable on better-recorded records where it shows up.

Now, that infamous Digitech processor into random poweramp is supposedly responsible for this tone, which sounded pretty tremendous for "real metal" in 1997 and kinda helps kick off the Glossy Metal Production thing:

It helps that the guitarist here produced/engineered a lot of the better-sounding stuff from that period and was all analog into recent memory. Don't know that he's still active, though. Also had Dave Lombardo in his band, and an old British punk singer. Both of these things help.

Funny, he also produced some early Lacuna Coil stuff, including their first EP, which sounds remarkably different than what they wound up becoming. Rather pleasant gothy hardrock. And the Marshall Valvestate appears here with some very shiny recording:

Also: there's some fine drumming on that, listening to it again. Knows when to lay back. Knows when to tell his hats and cymbals who's in charge.

That old Valvestate doesn't sound that bad here either:

Maybe my age is really starting to show, but listening back to this stuff, I like it a lot better than the way glossy-sounding metal sounds now.

This sort of thing was a good chunk of what I was listening to back then.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am
Simethicone

'90s nostalgia moment: one of these bands no longer exists, and the other two are terrible now. :lol:

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:47 am
Pendulous

I'd rock the majority of those. Rock the piss out of them.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 pm
Simethicone

Unstrung wrote:
I'd rock the majority of those. Rock the piss out of them.

Same. You can make them work. I've come to the conclusion I sound more or less the same on anything. As of late, I play a little 15w Vox combo at home, gig with a shitty old modeler DIed into a MOTU interface, and what's on the Garda records is worth a small fortune, because we fucking can. I can get it all to do mostly the same thing, and I'm not so fussy or pretentious about it as I once was. All that stuff does a thing which has its own charm.

Now, the one I'd be least likely to touch is that purple box on those Grip Inc. records. Go figure. There, it's the best sounding of the whole lot by far in a conventional sense. I'm pretty certain that's all the guy behind the wheel and not some inherent property of the gear.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:15 am
Winston Wolf

could probably buy them all off of Craigslist for >$1000 combined... well maybe not the Mig now....

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:04 pm
Scratch mixing the fossil record

haha.. man, though i must say, in my piece of the world, the 900 never caught on. VS100? check.. other guitar player had one til he found it really didn't cut- but it's not the worst amp ever, that's for sure. never met the ampeg, the blue doodoo caught all kinds of hell.. sovteks were considered functional, but not desirable... they were like $400 new, which was still cheap as hell. i think i paid that for my mesa .50 cal in 1993 though.. so there wasn't much impetus to get raked for an amp with plastic power switches and russian instruction manuals :lol:

maybe pittsburgh was a weird place- but people kinda took stuff seriously enough to buy pretty solid gear, and there was so much GOOD stuff out there used and vintage that you never really saw many NEW amps.. the abjectly poor guys i knew rocked PV solid state combos and still made 'em sound cool. but everyone seemed to be by and large pretty broke :lol: what i remember more was seeing those ridiculous ART digital preamps with pink paint splashes on them :lol:

OH.. it also occurs to me that they left out another of the ubiquitous which i actually remember lots of-- being fender red knobs.

In all honesty though, i don't remember it being all that much different than now... tons of different stuff-- just different stuff on store shelves than actually on stage :lol:

Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]