View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What i have been doing today... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: What i have been doing today...
Devtron wrote:
Not yet, I could share the works I did that kind of led itself for me to dive into more synths and drum machines:

https://soundcloud.com/dtcurrie/sets/vw_pl/s-cZkeS

Thats mostly electronic but hints of my Arturia MicroBrute make it in there.

This stuff is cool man. I really like the vibe of it. Fucked up cassette tape style. :monocle:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Thanks, that is kind of the vibe I was going for. Also no idea what I meant by electronic there. Was posting on my way back from the bodega.

So I basically rounded up samples, slow them down, compressed the fuck out of them, slapped a modulation on them, and then drenched them in reverb. It's a lot more atmospheric than the things I tend to get in to, but I enjoy making it. I also try to limit myself to a few tools, which lets me work a bit quicker and keeps things kinda gnarly.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Been a forever, and i know this is an empty house these days, but this is some unfinished business.

Cut this guitar out like ten years ago, and it has been sitting in a pile of guitar bits in my basement since:

It is the last of the slabs from the lightning-struck hemlock that was big enough to build anything out of.

Over the last couple weeks i decided to close the loop, finish the trilogy:

Pickup spacing is like on an SG, i prefer the brighter neck it gives. These are the GFS Humsized P90s. Digging the compensated wilkinson tele bridge, and the neck is actually from warmoth, one of their 24.75" "conversion" necks to turn a 25.5/strat scale into a gibby one.

Came out just about exactly as i was hoping. Super light, thin body, rock stuff.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:15 am
Winston Wolf

And all three siblings:

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 am
Best Supporting Actress

That’s a pretty dope collection!

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Walrus meat

Those all fuckin rock, Chris. :huzzah:

Empty house these days, indeed. Hope everyone is doing well despite the state of the world.

Just got a Warmoth one piece swamp ash P body in the mail today. Will be posting progress pics on that as it comes along..

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:21 pm
Winston Wolf

You are lucky to be on the correct coast for Warmoth, mr. Heck. If i was closer i would probably buy a lot more from them. Really like the neck i got, kinda want to explore more options from them, but the shipping cost adds up here. In a way that is fine, i have been saying for a long time now that i should be making my own necks by now. I also want to do some shorter scale shit lately, which is pushing me towards that end i guess. No one does 24" or less in 3+3 formats. Seems weird to me.

You making a bass then? What flavor? Standard P? Or anything oddball? I have been wanting to do a PJ shortscale for a bit now. :dick:

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:03 pm
Walrus meat

More or less standard fare P, but the wood and pickup are pretty strange I guess. Got this Lollar pickup that just came in alongside the body, it's them doing basically a P90 in the split coil P fashion. Supposed to be more uppermid forward and quite loud. For what I'm doing these days I think it will be very fitting. I got lucky, they're quite expensive but a friend works there and gave me a good deal. Oh, and I'm using an old J neck so i guess that's weirdish but I do prefer the neck for my little hands.

I've been fighting getting a full scale the last two years cause I like my bass chords and all that a lot but I just can't deny that the low end and midrange is so much more "true" with a full scale, even versus a 32" scale. Way more consistent across the frequency spectrum, don't have to dial up a bunch of sub on an EQ that can sort of finnicky. SO, I'm finally just gonna commit to building a P and put it to rest. :red:

I suppose it would likely be expensive but I'm sure Warmoth would do a custom 24" with a threeandthree? Ya know, that is a scale length I've never liked on any guitar. Makes my right hand feel so sloppy.

You still making much music/guit'ing around these days, Chris?

Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:58 pm
Winston Wolf

Yarr, i honestly think 24" is my favorite scale for most things. A lot of that is me playing in standard or higher tunings almost always these days. I think my lowest string on any of my guitars is actually a normal dropped d on a dadfad variant.

I have been playing here and there. My productive motion has been fairly impeded lately, but i have been trying to stay playing so i won't have to relearn everything once i get back on a fruitful creative track.

These days, mostly just guitar though. The three guitars in the picture there are my three main ones in the three tunings i have been screwing with. Standard for the new LP-ish shape, FACGCE on the tele, and then DADFAD two ways on the Mustaguar(sometimes DADF#AD, sometimes DADGA#D).

Mostly just going back in forth between the three guitars in the four tunings, trying to break patterns, shake things loose. My hands really only want to do what they want to do, and i just started to get tired of hearing it a bit. It is fun to make them try to find the patterns they like so much, when all of the notes are in the wrong place. Take that, stupid jerk hands.

Now i just need to trick myself back into the section of the basement where my dusty-ass drums have been just abandoned for a long ass time now. Talk about having to relearn everything. :red:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:22 am
Walrus meat

It is funny, that thing of tendencies and all that and making your brain fight the tool at hand. Sometimes I have tried to write things on an alt tuning and it does seem like I just gravitate towards trying to compensate and end up in similar places, but that can be cool too.

Dang, when was the last time you sat down at the kit? It is to consider that, I recall some years ago you were regularly playing again and got up to some pretty hot shit.

Only sort of relatedly, I can hardly get along with a Gibson scale at this point. Though, really it is just not the most kind interaction when I pick up a guitar these days. :red: Too out of shape with the smaller motor skills delicate movement stuff, bass is a whole lot more forgiving. I'll play one to write songs and then pass it over to Alex cause she's waaaaayyyyy better at guitar at this point.

New band is going into a big, big studio tomorrow til Friday to start recording drums for a full length. Bear Creek where Badmotorfinger and The Colour and Shape was recorded. Big ass drum room. Trident console. Lotta fun gear. Lotta experiments. I will be posting some pics.

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Walrus meat

Tinnitus is one of those existentially yucky things I am trying to keep at arms length as long as possible. Would you gig/jam without hearing protection often in your youf? I try to be maximally safe about it at this point with no exceptions.

Foots shit definitely seems like the most perishable drum skill for sure. Just never gonna be using some of those muscles in every day life.

Yup, bassing in this band. Similar lineup to our old band Rabbitkeeper but a different angle for sure. A little more conventional in that we're doing a lot of ripping off of early Dinosaur Jr, Shudder to Think and weirdo 90's indierock/posthardcore/altrock whatever shit. Plan for production is gonna be something along the lines of Dave Fridmann's work with Number Girl. Lotta room and resonance, lot of distortion.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:52 pm
Walrus meat

I think I managed to double or triple post and delete your last post, Chris. :red: Clearly, a little rusty.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:59 pm
Winston Wolf

In my youf, i never ever wore any plugs. :red:

Back then i didn't know of etymotic plugs or anything that would allow me to hear any high end with them in, and the types of bands i was playing in meant that if i used foam plugs i couldn't hear what the fuck the guitars were doing. Those bands were too ghetto and chaotic for me to get away with that.

I had been wearing plugs for a while for drums more recently though. Not that last day though. Fucking dumb.

Band sounds like it is going to be fun. Love the production sounds of that number girl stuff. Nice amount of clarity and fidelity, coupled with an appropriate level of scuzznoise.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:
I think I managed to double or triple post and delete your last post, Chris. :red: Clearly, a little rusty.

Noice. :cop:

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Walrus meat

Time at the studio is over. Went really really well, our drummer Colin was really prepared so we spent most of the time hanging out and shooting the shit with the house engineer between takes. Lotta crazy gear, don't really know where to start. Overheads were OG U67s, probably almost 40 grand worth of microphone.. They've got this little auxilary Neve console aside from the main Trident we used for pres on the close mics and overheads. Lot of other fun stuff on the others, I don't think we used the Trident pres cause they got so much other shit with Chandlers and API and whatnot. Lots of compression on the way in, Distressors, 1176s, Neve 33609, lot of shit. I think we ended up with 4 pairs of stereo room mics, 2 mono ones. Fucking wild live room.

I'm taking a break from cleaning tom tracks/dropping in clean hits where there's too much bleed or a weak hit. It's tedious fuckin work cause I'm kinda shit with key commands and shortcuts but it's become a big part of my workflow after working with mostly heavy bands. And this is kind of a heavy band in a way, or atleast should sound as huge as possible.

Here's some pics: https://imgur.com/a/jNMXj0m

You can't get a good idea of the live room in these but you can here: https://www.bearcreekstudio.com/

We got real lucky cause it's usually 875 a day there and we got a homie hook up for 500 otherwise we wouldn't have been able to go in but it was well worth it. The drums sound pretty crazy, I'll be posting some roughs here soon.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:10 pm
Winston Wolf

Aw dude! That's the converted barn studio dream right there. Real into that vibe.

Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:24 am
Walrus meat

Yeah the vibe of the place is really rad. It felt way outside our paygrade in a funny way, the only reason we were able to get time there was Chainsmokers had cancelled a month they booked, lmao. Train and a bunch of other pop acts go there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt4osu83ilcae ... S.mp3?dl=0

Here is one of the tracks with some light mixing on the drums and our scratch track amp sim guitars. And yes, this song is actually called NUMBER GIRL.

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 pm
Winston Wolf

It is fucking fantastic.

Look forward to the rest of its angles.

Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:38 pm
Walrus meat

Thank you my friend :huzzah:

We're gonna start tracking guitars on Christmass. It's gonna be a long road, we're double tracking basically everything Alex and Dan play, but I'll be pestering you with mixes soon enough.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:57 am
Winston Wolf

I don't remember if i ever posted this guitar.

Right before the house crisis i had in autumn 2019, i had decided to preorder one of these:

Mainly, because for some fucking reason, they only wanted $115 for it, and that is just so alarmingly little money for a functional guitar. I paid more for than that just for Squier NECKS for a couple of builds i have done.

Anyhoo, i got it and it is definitely a little cheap, the body is a little bonus thin, and the pickups were pretty hot for my taste. The guitar sounded very good unplugged, but dark and shitty plugged in. Not good for my preferred dirtclean taste. I like em brightish.

Well, i became distracted by aforementioned house crisis, but eventually, kind of circled back around a couple months ago to see if there was any hope for it. I was using it for a while in Nashville tuning to try to counteract its very darkness and muddy nature, but eventually just decided that the stock pickups were going to have to go away.

I had a pair of hum-sized p90s from GFS that i tried but didn't like, then i have a chinese ripoff pair of TVJones/Gretsch-style that i tried and also didn't like. Unfortunately, i had to mess up the pickguard to fit those. :red:

Finally, i decided to go with a pair of GFS rail humbuckers. I only had weird pickguard materials to work with though, so it wound up being gold mother of toilet seat:

The pickup switching is actually done by the thing that looks like the tone knob, i.e. it is a rotary switch. The volume knob is a funky Push-Push deal, wired for coil splits on both pups. I like it, rather than having to fiddle and pull the thing up like a regular push-pull, you just kind of punch in on it and it switches and punch it again and it switches back. Nice and dumb.

Anyhow, the guitar was now sounding pretty fucking great. With the coils split, it is probably like 4.5k bridge, 3.5k neck, and actually, i kind of love it. With the hums sending both coils it is PAF/rock niceness.

Unfortunately, the guitar more recently was subject to an infantile rage outburst by your truly, which involved the butt end of it being violently smashed into the ground hard enough to uh, do this to a pretty cool pedal:

:red:

Mainly though, what happened to the guitar was that all of the thick poly paint kind of started to come off in sharp chunks, right where my picking arm rests, so i went nuts on it and what started as trying to smooth out the chips, ended up being completely stripping the whole guitar down to bare wood. :red:

Ended up with the exposure of what i think is actually some really interesting insight to wood choices a cheapo guitar that is intended to be hidden with a solid color:

Kind of weird spalted oxidized shit going on on the top side, funky grain oddness on the bottom. Personally, i would have been fine if the guitar shipped looking this way.

Weird wood, IMO, is the best wood.

Basically, this cheapo trash guitar has become my main dude these days, for standard tuning. Means i can keep some of the other former main dudes in oddball tunings that they like better. Pretty happy with it.

Barely weigh 6 lb, also, which is fucking great.

Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next